Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1961 Chevy truck, what rear end & gears for application?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 01:29 PM
HEATHENS AUTO CLUB

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ok, I've been doing a ton of reading and have come to the conclusion that a '79 8.5" 10 bolt with 28 spline axles is stronger than a '73 8.75" 12 bolt truck with 28 spline axles because the pinion shaft diameter on the 10 bolt is bigger than the 12 bolt. The only other difference I can find between the two besides ring gear diameter and track width is parts availability and interchangability. Parts for the 10 bolt are more interchangable as well as cheaper and easier to find, especially in a posi application. So when I can save up some money and get a 3 series posi carrier and 3.73 gear set for the 10 bolt, I'll adapt it to fit under my truck. I have trailing arm/airbag rear suspension so getting the 10 bolt to mount up will be a breeze. I don't mind the narrower track width since I'm going to run cheater slicks, that means I can get wider tires. In the meantime I just have to hope the 3.08 open rear will hold up. You guys think it will hold up to 400hp or so, or should I go easy on the pedal (which won't be easy)?