Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1961 Chevy truck, what rear end & gears for application?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 01:54 PM
HEATHENS AUTO CLUB

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

This is getting frustrating. So there is no LS diff carrier for 12 bolt truck rear ends that are NOT gov lock? Unless I go aftermarket and pay through the nose. I can't afford to put $700-$1000 into the differential, $300-$400 maybe, that's why I was opting for thr 10 bolt. I paid $200 for the 10 bolt, not knowing I couldn't put better performance ratio gears on a 2 series carrier. I know they make a spacer but I've heard some really nasty tales surrounding them. I drive my truck hard so I need it to hold up. Is it possible to have a 3.73 gear made that will fit the 2 series carrier without a spacer? As many times as I've seen this issue presented, I would think Richmond or Auburn or SOMEBODY would make gear sets for this application. Which ever route I go, it will be a while because I have to save up money. In the meantime, will the 3.08 open 12 bolt get me by? Should I nurse it or do I not have anything to worry about but lack of traction?