Hot Rod Forum banner

1962 Falcon bench seat

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  kristkustoms 
#1 ·
The OEM bench seat in 62 Falcon sags when i sit on it. At 170# I dont think my weight is the problem ;)

It sags over the whole drivers area where I sit, not just at the edge of the seat.

The S shaped springs are not broken, they must be worn out. Or the seat has sagged since the day Ford built it.

Can I add coil springs to the S shaped units to increase their resistance to weight or what?

#3 ·
Putting in new zig-zag (or "S") springs wouldn't be very hard of a job, but would require the upholstery to be removed. There are different grades of zig-zag springs, maybe you could step up to a stiffer spring.

snkbyt, I think you are thinking of stuffing a coil spring. The method of using foam chunks is usually used on coil springs. If you were to stuff foam under a zig zag spring it would make for a lumpy seat.

You could add coil springs to it, but is there a framework that would support the bottom of the springs?

#6 ·
What I was thinking with the coil springs , is the type of spring on a carb throttle return but stiffer.

I would attach them to the S springs along their length. With the coil springs stretched out some, I thought it might preload the S springs and provide more support.

kristkustoms said:
Putting in new zig-zag (or "S") springs wouldn't be very hard of a job, but would require the upholstery to be removed. There are different grades of zig-zag springs, maybe you could step up to a stiffer spring.

snkbyt, I think you are thinking of stuffing a coil spring. The method of using foam chunks is usually used on coil springs. If you were to stuff foam under a zig zag spring it would make for a lumpy seat.

You could add coil springs to it, but is there a framework that would support the bottom of the springs?

#7 ·
lluciano77 said:
I scrapped my '61 Ranchero bench and got some buckets from a Mustang GT. They fit surprisingly well. I only needed to drill a couple holes. The seats were level and sat well. I got them a a junkyard for $50 for the pair. They were in great shape.
Thats because the early Mustang was built on the Falcon platform.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.