Hot Rod Forum banner

1962 falcon engine swap

7K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  matt167 
#1 · (Edited)
:i have a 1962 falcon futura .would like to swap motor and trans ,useing a 1988 thunderbird 2.3 turbo will it fit the front the front end with out magor changes.

#3 ·
Gary, pretty much said it. If a six fit, a shorter four should be no problem. You'll want some suspension upgrades after that though. That Turbo 4 will make the old 6 seem like a lawn motor engine.If you wanted other options they used the basic 6 up until the mid 80s or so and they are 250 inches, the whole powertrain would probably be close to drop in(engine and trans because the changed the bellhousing pattern). I like that you are going with something other than a small block, while they are great engines, it's always nice to see something different.

#4 ·
Sounds like a fun project. I've always wanted to build a 2.3 Turbo powered street rod of some sort. Been collecting parts (MII front, rear, tranny, etc) over the years.

I had a 86 Turbo Coupe that was a blast to drive. The 2.3 is a little wider than you would expect with the turbo side but I would think it could be made to fit.

If at all possible get all the ECM harness you can from the donor, it will make things much easier to get it running.

Good luck and post pics if you go that way.
-Stephen

#5 · (Edited)
william jones said:
:i have a 1962 falcon futura .would like to swap motor and trans ,useing a 1988 thunderbird 2.3 turbo will it fit the front the front end with out magor changes.

About 8 months ago one of the magazines had a feature car about this. I'll try to find the specific issue and report back, maybe it is on their website. You might cruise the HR, CC, PHR magazine sites and look for a white 63 Falcon turbo four article.

The AOD won't go under the stock floorpan, and I think the T-5 stick fits OK. Use the cable clutch. Modifying the rear crossmember is easy, I have put 5.0s in several.

I would use the 88 engine mounts and fabricate a trans frame mount as necessary. Have the 88 front yoke welded into a new driveshaft with the appropriate rear yoke. The Granada/Maverick 8 inch rear ends are bolt in for the early Falcon puke rear end. Upgrade the front suspension to V8 and Granada disc brakes using G master and combination valve.

Hooking up the computer to the car is simple and easy. Only 3 wires are needed to hook it to the car, plus fp, etc = Crank/run/crank and run. Any wire splicing done must be soldered and covered with glue filled heat shrink. NO CRIMP CONNECTIONS ALLOWED ANYWHERE.

#6 ·
I wouldn't waste my time on the 2.3 swap. 2.3 is a great engine but a 6 would be better. swap in a 250 I6, it will fit with the stock mounts, pull the C4 from a V8 car. use the Turbo from the 2.3, and run the TBI from a 3.8 Ford, it will fit on a Clifford 2bbl adaptor, use a Megasquirt II fuel injection controller and a DSII distributor from a '78 up 200-250, that will provide the controller with a cam signal

#7 ·
xntrik said:
About 8 months ago one of the magazines had a feature car about this. I'll try to find the specific issue and report back, maybe it is on their website. You might cruise the HR, CC, PHR magazine sites and look for a white 63 Falcon turbo four article.

The AOD won't go under the stock floorpan, and I think the T-5 stick fits OK. Use the cable clutch. Modifying the rear crossmember is easy, I have put 5.0s in several.

I would use the 88 engine mounts and fabricate a trans frame mount as necessary. Have the 88 front yoke welded into a new driveshaft with the appropriate rear yoke. The Granada/Maverick 8 inch rear ends are bolt in for the early Falcon puke rear end. Upgrade the front suspension to V8 and Granada disc brakes using G master and combination valve.

Hooking up the computer to the car is simple and easy. Only 3 wires are needed to hook it to the car, plus fp, etc = Crank/run/crank and run. Any wire splicing done must be soldered and covered with glue filled heat shrink. NO CRIMP CONNECTIONS ALLOWED ANYWHERE.
is this the white '63 your talking about?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.