1962 FORD FAIRLANE - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2002, 08:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 1962 FORD FAIRLANE

I HAVE A 1962 FORD FAIRLANE WITH A ORIGINAL 170 ENG AND TRANNY...I WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE OUT THE ENGINE AND TRANNY WITH A 302 AND CORRESPONDING TRANNY CAN THIS BE DONE SUCCESFULLY? WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO HAVE TO CHANGE OUT OTHER THAN THIS , THE MOTOR MOUNTS AND DRVESHAFT?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2002, 09:50 PM

Observed my neighbor do a simlar swap on a '65 Galaxie. The 302 C4 swap was no biggie. The radiator for the 6 won't work on the V/8. Headers had to be adjusted to clear the steering box. I have a set of Hedman headers for a 302 if your interested. Make me an offer, you pay the shipping costs. Plan on having a new yoke placed on the driveshaft. The C4 has different splines than the Ford-o-matic. That's just a few of the tasks you'll run into. Whatever you do, remember to have fun...FastGo
Old 09-14-2002, 12:27 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Arrow

Read -this recent post- and it will explain some of the things that must be considered on the swap.

The early sixties Fairlane engine bays are tighter than the corresponding Falcon/Mustang, but the 302 swap is very do able.
Old 09-14-2002, 12:44 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

I disagree about the confines of the engine compartment they are every bit as big if not bigger than the Falcon/Mustang and you can use the same parts for the swap, easily.
Old 09-14-2002, 12:55 PM

I have a 63 fairlane, am putting a 302/FMX in it right now = please don't ask about the fmx...The motor is painted red, like the 260 was, there should be no indications that this is not a 260 when I get done...

The engine compartment is very tight. I can not put in my 351 and exhaust manifolds.

The motor mounts might be fun, I have not read the other referenced post yet, but the mounts in the 62/63 are different in the way they mount to the frame. Radiator is obviously fun, depending on what you do for a water pump. I am using the passenger side input/output radiator that was in the car. Tranny linkage is fun, I have put in a B&M shifter.
hope this helps, glad to share my fun....specially exhaust stories....wasted headers...
Old 09-14-2002, 01:51 PM
aka Duke of URL

Question

[quote]Originally posted by woodz428:

I disagree about the confines of the engine compartment they are every bit as big if not bigger than the Falcon/Mustang and you can use the same parts for the swap, easily.<hr></blockquote>

[quote]Origionally posted by badbob

I have a 63 fairlane, am putting a 302/FMX in it right now...

The engine compartment is very tight. I can not put in my 351 and exhaust manifolds.<hr></blockquote>

So in other words...a 351W will not drop easily into an early Fairlane intermediate chassis...where it will go into a Falcon/Mustang chassis...

The early Fairlanes (until 1964) had smaller engine compartments than the MUSTANG.

Guess I have to disagree with your disagree woodz428...

[ September 14, 2002: Message edited by: KULTULZ ]</p>
Old 09-14-2002, 05:49 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

The 351w will not fit a Falcon/Mustang (until '67)with the stock exhaust, I have done several. Even with aftermarket headers it is tight. In '67 the engine compartment was redesigned for the big block, making them roomier than the early ones. Just check the Mustang parts suppliers and see the different headers listed for the early 351W swap.
Old 09-14-2002, 06:06 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

The early Fairlane,'stang and Falcon also use a different mount than the later ones as well. They use single bolt mounts instead of saddle mounts used later, the 351W is wider and taller than the 302 which is based on the 221 that was originally introduced in '62 in... the Fairlane. Those mounts are the ones to use and the tunnel on the Fairlane (and early 'stang/Falcon) is pretty tight for a FMX (although they are very strong trannies, they were used as the tranny in the Thunderbolt Fairlanes that had 427s when they were auto equipped.)
Old 09-14-2002, 09:25 PM

Last photo:

kind of an off-topic question, but how much difference is their betweent the 62 fairlane and the galaxie of the same year.
Old 09-15-2002, 02:17 AM
aka Duke of URL

Question

[quote]Originally posted by KULTULZ:

So in other words...a 351W will not drop easily into an early Fairlane intermediate chassis...where it will go into a Falcon/Mustang chassis...<hr></blockquote>

[quote]Origionally posted by woodz428:

The 351w will not fit a Falcon/Mustang (until '67)with the stock exhaust, I have done several. Even with aftermarket headers it is tight.<hr></blockquote>

So which is it? Will it fit or not?

The early (1962/1963) engine compartments were smaller...no if's...and's or but's. The main reason was larger springs requiring larger shock/spring towers. The other was the bottom rails being closer together. The FAIRLANE was a completely different platform (albeit similiar) than the FALCON/MUSTANG.
Old 09-15-2002, 02:25 AM
aka Duke of URL

Arrow

[quote]Originally posted by Lightspeed:

kind of an off-topic question, but how much difference is their betweent the 62 fairlane and the galaxie of the same year.<hr></blockquote>

The 1962 GALAXIE was on a frame with plenty of engine bay area. A 385 Series will fit with no problem.

The 1962 FAIRLANE was an intermediate with unibody construction. The coil spring was placed over the upper control arm requiring a spring/shock tower (similiar to todays' MUSTANG with strut towers) that restricts engine bay room.

They had to extensively modify the towers to put the 427 into the 1964 FAIRLANE as they did also with the 1969/1970 BOSS 429 MUSTANG.

I had a 1967 GT-500 that equired me to remove the rocker covers to change the spark plugs. And it ate a lot of plugs.
Old 09-15-2002, 03:31 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

No doubt that the Fairlane is different than the 'stang/Falcon, just not smaller plain and simple.
Old 09-15-2002, 03:43 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

originally posted by KULTULZ
So which is it? Will it fit or not?

It will fit, just as it will fit in the Fairlane, just not with the original exhaust manifolds, they interfere with the shock towers on all 3, unless your a hammer head and want to beat the towers out for clearance( which I saw done in the late '60's before finesse was a known quantity).

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.