1962 ford falcon engine swap - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2008, 05:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

62 Falcon Sleeper

WOW! Its sure nice to be noticed, or at least missed in a positive way for a change!
I have gotten involved in a few Native American projects and am on the Red Road to learn my own history. On top of that, Ive gotten very active in Veterans issues, being a retired, disabled Vet, myself.
Now that I will be hitting the grand age of 60 on feb. 1, I have discovered I have some physical limitations when it comes to playing with my first love, the automobile, so Ive focused my enerfies elsewhere.
Ive even closed down my project 88 F-150 4X4 and am wanting to sell it, along with a myriad of other Ford parts.
I just last night received a twix from a guy on here wanting info on building an M block, so I decided to do some browsing, and came across this thing with the Falcon.
Think I should regergitate more of my gray matter?
Ken

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2008, 06:09 PM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Wiki Edits: 8

Sure, if you can't work on cars you can still think and chat about them. I haven't been able to work on any projects for a couple years due to a bunch of conflicting life situations, but I am hoping to have a chance to start fooling around again in a few months. Meanwhile I learn by reading others, and every once in awhile I know something somebody else wants to know.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:09 AM

The simplest thing to do would be to go find an early 70's Comet or Maverick with whatever engine/tranny combo that strikes your mood. You can use the rearend, shorten up the driveshaft, tranny/engine combo, and also reuse the later spindles with disc brakes (5 lug wheels to match the rearend your also reusing). You can also reuse the 14 inch wheels. Google TFFN for a site that is very informative for old falcons. If you go to disc brakes you can use a master cylinder from a geo metro or a 67 mustang can work. What you will find is that the two types are the same shape/size and all the newer/safer stuff will swap right in.

hope this helps
mike
Old 01-21-2008, 06:13 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike53
The simplest thing to do would be to go find an early 70's Comet or Maverick with whatever engine/tranny combo that strikes your mood. You can use the rearend, shorten up the driveshaft, tranny/engine combo, and also reuse the later spindles with disc brakes (5 lug wheels to match the rearend your also reusing). You can also reuse the 14 inch wheels. Google TFFN for a site that is very informative for old falcons. If you go to disc brakes you can use a master cylinder from a geo metro or a 67 mustang can work. What you will find is that the two types are the same shape/size and all the newer/safer stuff will swap right in.

hope this helps
mike
just a note, I belive the '60-'62 Falcons have a diffrent A arm than the '63 so '63 A arms would be needed, to get the maverick spindles to work.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:02 PM

Last photo:

Ok I just put in the I6 200 out of a 1967 mustang! It fits great but now I am wondering about the carb linkage? Do I need to find a set up off a falcon or will the mustang linkage work? Does anyone have pictures of there setup in a falcon?
Thanks a bunch
Old 02-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Wiki Edits: 8

IIRC the linkage didn't change, it should work.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

Rear end redux

In reference to the Rear end debate earlier in this thread, go look for an 8" rear end ouf any of the 60's or early 70's Mustangs, Falcons, etc. They should be the same width. Lighter than a 9" and not as popular. One nice thing is that thay will already be the width you need and will easily stand up to a 350-400 hp engine on the street, especially with an automatic tranny.
Gears are readily available from any speed outlet down to around 4.56.
I have run what was called an 8er9 rear end, which is 8"rear axle tubes and housing with a 28 spline 9" center section. This requires cuttting the axle tubes off the 8' and welding it to the 9" housing. The only reason you would need to do this is if you really want to get lower than a 4.63 gear. I ran them on dirt with mini spools running gears in the 4:88 to 6:50 ranges. Axles were plentiful so when an axle started to get twisted, always had a couple spares laying around to slip in.
The 8" rear is similar to the 9" except it doesnt have the extra bulge in the back of the housing to clear the ring gear. They also came with both 4 and 5 lug bolt patterns.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:08 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

falcon swap

The 6 cyl had 4 bolt wheels and small brakes I had a friend do the swap and he went to the v8 suspension parts there is a falcon comet mustang site where a lot of info is available Some maverick cars with 6 cyl had the 5 bolt wheels and disc brakes ... a lot of small ford parts will fit for bolt on upgrades.. mid 80;s lincoln town car rear disc are bolt on to some rear's also I had a 63 falcon sprint with the v8 and a cobra kit 4 barrel 4 spd 3 50 gears it was faster than the heavier mustangs.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:48 PM

Last photo:

How did the swap go??

I just found this thread which caused me to join the site I have a '65 4 door wagon that I bought a few years back with all of 21k miles on it. It has the 200 I6 in it with 3 on the tree. It is about as complete as can be. Only missing the roof rack, and a couple small badges. Glass is intact, as is the chrome and stainless trim pieces. I am wanting to drop a 302 or likewise in it and was searching for info on doing so when I stumbled across this thread. Hoping to at least get here back on the road soon since I just had the 6 rebuilt as well as the transmission. Curious to know how my51chevy's engine swap went. Any updates?? Looking forward to picking some brains on the site. Thanks, "Q"
ps. I've seen a lot of Falcons around on cruise nights, but no wagons. I'd like to change that.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MQuiroz
I just found this thread which caused me to join the site I have a '65 4 door wagon that I bought a few years back with all of 21k miles on it. It has the 200 I6 in it with 3 on the tree. It is about as complete as can be. Only missing the roof rack, and a couple small badges. Glass is intact, as is the chrome and stainless trim pieces. I am wanting to drop a 302 or likewise in it and was searching for info on doing so when I stumbled across this thread. Hoping to at least get here back on the road soon since I just had the 6 rebuilt as well as the transmission. Curious to know how my51chevy's engine swap went. Any updates?? Looking forward to picking some brains on the site. Thanks, "Q"
ps. I've seen a lot of Falcons around on cruise nights, but no wagons. I'd like to change that.
You're in more luck than you know, engine, driveline, and suspension parts for the 65/66 Mustang are a bolt in for the Falcon.

Bogie
Old 07-27-2009, 11:31 AM

Last photo:

That is good to hear

I have been debating whether or not to do the swap as the car is so original. When I picked it up, there were weeds growing around it about 4' high. I initially thought it was going to be a basket case. But low and behold, everything looked fine. I looked at the engine, and the alternator was disconnected but lying in the back seat. I was able to turn the engine over by hand which was comforting. The seats were in good shape other than some mice that had taken up residency, and what amazed me most was the tires still held air. There weren't any tracks out to the car so the ower didn't just go out and air them up. I looked at the odometer and she showed just over 21K on her. I was thinking 121K maybe, but the last time she was registered was in '72 so its possible it is only 21k. Paid cash for her, loaded her up and got her home where I went over her better after removing the mice nests and droppings...God what a smell. I found the build sheet under the carpet still intact as well as the wiring which worried me because of the mice. All the little aluminum inspection tags stamped with FOMOCO on the carb, rear diff, and transmission were there. Even the washer fluid bag was present and in great shape for a 40+ year old car. So, my debate is whether to proceed with the mods, or restore her to her original glory since she is so complete. My son in law is recovering the seats for me as we speak, and will redo the paint. I kind of want to make her into a sleeper with the small block, but then again, original would look so cool. Here's a few pics of what she looks like. Thanks for the encouraging news Bogie, much appreciated. Glad to know should I decide to push forward. Thanks, "Q"

Engine before

After a little bit of cleaning and paint

Old 07-27-2009, 01:04 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

you can wake the 200 up a bit.. increase the compression, better flowing head ( aluminum aftermarket head is available ).. otherwise, there pretty decent solid/ runners.. they do have supprising torque for small 6's
Old 07-27-2009, 07:04 PM

Last photo:

A reman 302 for around 650-900 dollars and throw a good intake and 4 bbl. some headers and maybe a cam....6 bolt bellhousing for the 302 and a c4.
Relatively inexpensive and the little wagon would run out fine...
Old 03-25-2013, 03:08 PM

1962 ford falcon engine swap

Reading this discussion brings a question to mine. Could you also use a 8.8" Ford Ganada rear end with the 302 SB?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:51 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

granada rear

I had a monarch and lincoln versaille, both 9 in Disc, From what I have read the Granada 8.8 rear is a unique rear, not the same as later 8.8 in mustang Exp, ranger, etc. I read that it only shares some parts with F 100 pickup 8.8 , The width should be the same as the 9's I had and would be a bolt in, spring spacing, , you might have to modify the lower spring plate for shock bolts. you should be able to find a ford factory drive shaft that fits, just takes some time to get all the pieces , Sometimes you have to change E brake cables. I don't know if the 80's Lincoln town car rear discs are a bolt on swap.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.