Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   1962 ford falcon engine swap (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/1962-ford-falcon-engine-swap-131215.html)

my51chevy 01-08-2008 08:50 PM

1962 ford falcon engine swap

I just picked up a 1962 falcon 4Dr wagon (free) from an older women near my house. The car is in pretty good shape but is minus the motor and tranny. Will I be able to find an original motor for it or should I put in something else? Has anyone out there tackled a similar falcon project? Please send ideas and our links I can check out. I am up for about anything at the moment.
Thanks in advance

Jmark 01-08-2008 09:20 PM

A modest 302 and a c-4 would turn it into a screamer! LOL

Brian_B 01-08-2008 09:37 PM

I do not know what that would have had in it stock. I think the V8s in those years were the Y-blocks. At least the trucks were until 64.

I thought most of the falcons had an inline 6 though.

No clue on how hard that might be to find, but since it is gone already (unless you plan to restore the car), I would go with a 302 and just make a nice driver out of it.

My truck has the original drive train (in good shape) or it would have gotten a modern engine/trans. It is a driver and not a restored show truck. :D

LS-57 01-08-2008 09:43 PM

1962 ford falcon engine swap

We put a 89 Mustang 5 Liter with a 4 speed AOD tranny into a 60 Falcon. We used the EFI, serpentine system, computer & wiring from the Mustang, it worked out great. It has been a totally trouble free daily driver for 5 years with over 80,000 miles on the conversion. The factory Mustang headers do not work due to a narrower engine bay. Use the Heddmann shorty ones, they fit perfectly. The only technical part was having the inlet & outlet on the rad moved to suit the newer motor. If you use a 65 Mustang rad, I believe some suppliers build it for this conversion already.
Factory 65 Mustang motor mounts and frame mounts worked out perfectly.
This combo works great as a carburated version aswell.

enginejr 01-08-2008 09:50 PM

I'm no ford guy but i belive they all came with the tower of power, 6 cyls. I think they were the same engine as the mustangs ( no one wants a 6 cyl mustang), and cabover econoline vans ( scarce at best) so check out 6 cyl mustang drivelines for sale. A 302 would be a good choice, they fit mint, and the car is so lightweight that even with a stock deal it would go 100% better than the six. WARNING, the stock rear end is barely strong enough for 6 holer power, I belive the 50-54 ford passenger cars came with 9 inch rear ends that are the correct width for a chevy 2, i know not a falcon but almost identical size rearends i think 56 or 57 inches wide.

Brian_B 01-08-2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enginejr
I'm no ford guy but i belive they all came with the tower of power, 6 cyls. I think they were the same engine as the mustangs ( no one wants a 6 cyl mustang), and cabover econoline vans ( scarce at best) so check out 6 cyl mustang drivelines for sale. A 302 would be a good choice, they fit mint, and the car is so lightweight that even with a stock deal it would go 100% better than the six. WARNING, the stock rear end is barely strong enough for 6 holer power, I belive the 50-54 ford passenger cars came with 9 inch rear ends that are the correct width for a chevy 2, i know not a falcon but almost identical size rearends i think 56 or 57 inches wide.

He is correct about the rear axle. Go to this page and scroll down. There is a list of for 9" axle widths from various cars and trucks. Also a lot of good 9" pics and information, but the chart toward the bottom is widths.

http://www.maliburacing.com/ford_9_i..._nine_inch.htm

No falcon ever had a 9" from the factory (I was told this by a ford parts manager who is now retired).

AntnyL 01-09-2008 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my51chevy
I just picked up a 1962 falcon 4Dr wagon (free) from an older women near my house. The car is in pretty good shape but is minus the motor and tranny. Will I be able to find an original motor for it or should I put in something else? Has anyone out there tackled a similar falcon project? Please send ideas and our links I can check out. I am up for about anything at the moment.
Thanks in advance

Cool! A guy who frequents our weekly cruise night has a very clean 4-door Falcon, he dropped a 302 and 5-speed manual trans in it. Great car, I'm always drawn to it. And I'm a Chevy guy. Have fun with that wagon!

speedydeedy 01-09-2008 06:52 AM

I love wagons.If your budget allows,I would first install a Mustang 2 front suspension as even new the steering wasn't the best. Then as they said swap in an 8 or 9" Ford rear.Then as far as I know they came with 6cyl or 260 V8 which is the same family as the 289 or 302 so either would make a great runner.The MII would clean up the inner fenders and make it much easier to work on.We put a MII in my daughters 65 Mustang and it worked out well and gave plenty room for the 350 Tunned port and 700R4 tranny. Hope this helps and good luck. :thumbup:

poncho62 01-09-2008 06:53 AM

A 200/250 six from a later model Maverick, Granada, Fairmont etc will bolt right in.

In 63 a v8 was an option, so most SB Fords will also bolt in with the right factory mounts.

cliff tate 01-09-2008 09:37 AM

falcon

Quote:

Originally Posted by poncho62
A 200/250 six from a later model Maverick, Granada, Fairmont etc will bolt right in.

In 63 a v8 was an option, so most SB Fords will also bolt in with the right factory mounts.

9in rear ends never arrived till 1957, 62 falcon came with a 144ci 6 which was the worst engine ford ever made even the later small 6s poor at best, cylinder heads ar the big problem, which i see some one in the us has a alum. head for them . best bet is 289 0r 302 with trans . rear end from ranger pickup. have fun cliff

my51chevy 01-09-2008 10:07 AM

Wow thanks for all the info. I will hopefully post my progress as we go. Good to know about the bad motors they came with. Thanks again this a great site with plenty of great hotrodders

pmeisel 01-09-2008 11:27 AM

Stock engine would have been the old Lima I6, probably 144 or 170 cubes. Would be hard to find one now, 200/250 cid engines would be same with taller deck.

Like a lot of others, I think you would have the best luck with a 302, and there are a lot of them around (Ford built 25 million......)

poncho62 01-09-2008 11:33 AM

I agree a SB v8 would be great, but must disagree that the 144/170 were bad motors. In a hi-perf sense, not much could be done with them, but they were a dependable engine for those cars. A 200/250 later model 6 would be an excellent upgrade in my opinion.

pmeisel 01-09-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poncho62
I agree a SB v8 would be great, but must disagree that the 144/170 were bad motors. In a hi-perf sense, not much could be done with them, but they were a dependable engine for those cars. A 200/250 later model 6 would be an excellent upgrade in my opinion.

They weren't "bad", they were just small. I got 120,000 miles out of one and it would have gone farther if my sister (who inherited it) knew enough to check the oil......

I haven't seen one in serviceable enough shape to rebuild and put in a car in a long time, though. They built the last one over 25 years ago, and they ran that line at low volume during most of the 70s. If I had a car like this, and I could find a good I6 motor, I think it would be neat. I just think it would be damned hard to find a good rebuildable motor.

oldbogie 01-09-2008 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my51chevy
Thanks in advance

The original 1962 Falcon 6 used only 4 mains, it is an engine that is greatly troubled by that design. If you stick with a 6, starting with the 1965 Mustang 200 inch and coming newer is a better solution as these have 7 mains which gets around the earlier engine's lack of displacement (144/170) and its desire to eat main bearings especially when pushed for more power.

Bogie