1962 Lincoln Continental factory 430ci/fordmatic? What eng/trans will swap out? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2006, 09:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1962 Lincoln Continental factory 430ci/fordmatic? What eng/trans will swap out?

Hi Guys,

I was born and raised a Chevy guy and GM's are all I know. Well a friend of mine talked me into a 1962 Lincoln Continental. He bought it for the 430/fordmatic trans to put back into his 51 lincoln that he is restoring.

I only took on this project because the car is super clean, rust free, complete, and well the suicide doors kinda tickled me.

Anyhow, I am basically getting a 38k original mile super clean rolling chassis. Being that I dont have a single clue about anything in the world of ford/lincolns. Can anyway tell me what other ford motor/trans combo would bolt into this car? or if need be where to get adaspters, motor mounts, conversion parts etc? If worse comes to worse its getting a small block chevy and turbo350, id rather nto mix the two though? Any other tips would be appreciated? disc brake swap? etc? Thanks,

John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2006, 10:28 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

any FE in front of a C6 will be a bolt in stock type installation.

welcome to our world.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:30 PM

hey larry, thanks for the quick reply. sorry, as i stated before im very VERY ignorant when it comes to anything fords. can you please ellaborate a little more if you dont mind? FE and C6 are both foreign jibberish to me?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:47 PM

Last photo:

FE is the engine family which includes the lowly 352, the 360, 390, 410, 427, and the 428. the blocks are all the same, except the 427, it's a thicker bore than the others, 4.23" as opposed to 4.05" ... the smaller blocks (4.05) most of the time aren't capable of being bored more than .060" over. I'll find you the bore x strokes if you want. the C6 is the replacement for the fordomatic, fmx, and the cruiseomatic trannies. it's a stout heavy duty tranny.

390ci 4.05" x 3.78"
406ci 4.13" x 3.78"
410ci 4.05" x 3.98"
427ci 4.23" x 3.78"
428ci 4.13" x 3.98"

the 3.98" cranks are externally balanced.

Last edited by crazy larry; 05-30-2006 at 11:05 PM. Reason: additional corrections and info. screw off.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:55 PM

larry, thanks again for the additional info. this has been very helpful. so if i understand correctly the lincoln 430s are based off of the same platform (block) as what you have listed 390, 427, etc.? as far as the c6 transmissions go, are these a 3 speed auto, or overdrive trans? do I need one out of a specific application to be a bolt in swap?, Ie are there differences in tailshaft lengths, output shaft size, etc? where should i be lookinf for them? 2wd pickup trucks? 70s/80s? thanks again, john
Old 05-30-2006, 11:04 PM

Last photo:

couldn't tell you squat about the MEL 430. that's Kultulz'z bailiwick.

the c6 is a 3 speed auto,not OD. found in the ltd's, various passenger cars, heavier trucks, ( and some not so heavy trucks) I don't know when they quit making them, sometime in the 80's i believe. and I'm really not much help on tailshaft lengths either.... I'm just smart enough to be dangerous.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:39 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

I had a 430 a few years ago and bolted up a FE scattershield to it to mount a toploader, but I'm thinkin' that the bore centers on the motor were the same as the 429/460, not the FE. This was a transition period for Ford and some of the FE dimensions and some of the Lima dimensions were used to the best of my knowledge. What I'm gettin' at is....I'm thinkin' a 460/C6 would bolt in better than a FE.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:43 PM

They look similar but I didn't think anything interchanged between the 430/462 and the Ford-Edsels. The problem with the FEs is that the larger displacements (406-428) are getting expensive and hard to find.

390s are still affordable but may be somewhat underpowered in a land yacht like a '62 Continental. You can get stroker kits to increase displacement if you're willing to fork out $2100. http://speedomotive.com/fe_ford_390_...id_stroker.htm

Though not period correct, a 460 would be a more practical choice for a swap. They're plentiful and inexpensive compared to the FE. I'm sure you could find some motor mounts if you talk to the right people.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:51 PM

Last photo:

a 460 with a AOD would be the cats arse.

believe it or not, the 390 is about the same money wise to build up as the 460. save some here, spend some there.... but i do believe that when done, the 460 is going to spank the 390.
your right about anything bigger than a 390 getting expensive.....
Old 05-31-2006, 12:11 AM

"a 460 with a AOD would be the cats arse."

You mean an E4OD don't ya? Assuming it would clear the transmission tunnel.
Maybe a EFI 460 with some performance enhancements or to be really unique, a V10 modular motor.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:50 AM

Last photo:

i honestly don't know the official designation, the NON electronic od tranny..... is what?
Old 05-31-2006, 01:04 AM

AOD is correct for a NON electric OD. The problem is they won't bolt up to a 460 block transmission pattern.
http://lentechautomatics.com/rwdmodels.html
Old 05-31-2006, 04:36 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

To repower the LINC, the only way to go is 460. It requires a little trimming and boxing on the front apron rails (for exhaust manifold clearance) and you might have a little trouble with the steering box, but it has been done.

I cannot believe he destroyed this car for a powertrain. 430/462's are not that hard to come by...
Old 05-31-2006, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ
To repower the LINC, the only way to go is 460. It requires a little trimming and boxing on the front apron rails (for exhaust manifold clearance) and you might have a little trouble with the steering box, but it has been done.

I cannot believe he destroyed this car for a powertrain. 430/462's are not that hard to come by...
I said the same thing. He bought it from the original owners son. The car is in mint condition, wouldve been much nicer had the son not gotten ahold of it. The son let it sit outside since 1990, had been garaged since new before that. At any rate, the car runs and drives beautifully. I tried to talk him into letting me drie it home as is for more money but he insisted on having that drivetrain.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:04 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehightoyz
I said the same thing. He bought it from the original owners son. The car is in mint condition, wouldve been much nicer had the son not gotten ahold of it. The son let it sit outside since 1990, had been garaged since new before that. At any rate, the car runs and drives beautifully. I tried to talk him into letting me drie it home as is for more money but he insisted on having that drivetrain.
I don't think he'll be all that happy with it. There is very little speed equipment for it and it is not a very efficient motor with its huge combustion chambers (formed by the pistons while the underside of the cylinder head is flat like the 348/409 Chevies) Flame propogation takes a long time to go from one side of it to the other.

Bottom line, he would have been much better off with a 429 or 460 (Lima motor) rather than an 430 or 462 (MEL motor) no matter what his plans were. That's just my opinion, having been there, done that.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.