Hot Rod Forum banner

1962 Studebaker Lark

14K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  BOBCRMAN@aol.com 
#1 ·
Hey, I'm new to the hotrodding scene. Wanty to get my first classic and I'm looking at a 1962 Studebaker Lark. Its in perfect running order. Can anyone give me some idea of what kind of work I'm going to have to put into this? Is it going to be an expensive car to keep maintained? and if something goes on it how hard is it to find replacement parts? Thank guys.

#2 ·
The very first thing many people would think looking at this car is it needs to be "updated". It needs a small block chevy and disc brakes and on an on. But in the real world that car will be a WONDERFUL driver just the way it is! They were miles ahead of their time and it really is a heck of a nice car.

When you get into the "community" associated with any old car you find yourself surrounded by many like minded people with MANY sources for parts. Believe it or not it may be easier to get parts for that Studebaker than many cars made decades later! Studebakers have a huge following and there are too many web sites to list where people are talking about them and providing answers to questions about them.

I have an equally odd old car, a 1959 Rambler American. I am simply blown away at how many people know about these cars and what parts are available. There is really no big deal getting parts, not super easy like a year old Chevy or something, but not that hard at all.

If you get this car, before you do any thing just get into the community. This takes a little while, a few weeks, maybe even months and then you will have all the sources you will ever need. I have a number of places I can get parts for my Rambler. About a month ago my boss bought a 65 Rambler out of the blue, he just drove in with one to work one day. He asked me where to get parts I told him about a place just about 45 minutes from his home and he drove over the next day and bought everything he needed, from chrome trim to window regulator rebuild kits, all in stock at a place just a short drive away!

That Studebaker is one of the coolest car companies ever and it would be a blast to own one.

Brian

#4 ·
buggmann

Hey man It's not that hard to find parts for
I just got a 59 lark 2door v8 wagon I have spent
Some time looking but have found all the parts
I know a guy were I'm at that has like ten larks
And some part cars I can talk with him if you
Would like. Just let me know

#6 ·
Join a Studebaker club, from everything I have read they stick together helping each other, there's a ton of parts (someone bought Stude's cache when they closed) available, and that is one cool car.

Watch for rust on the top of the fenders.

If you want, p.m. me your address, I'll send you a Hemmings Collector Car mag I have that featured Larks, lots of info and history. It may take me a week or 2 but I will get it to you, that is one mag I don't give away to the neighbor kids and my filing system is non-existent. :D

When I was a kid in Mn., there was a guy that raced a 66 Lark on the dirt tracks, track champ many times, the car had a 402 in it that supposedly was available in Canada. Went like stink! Here's a link:Nesbitt

I agree with Brian, these cars were waaaay ahead of their time, they are cool right out of the box. How many SBC's or Ford motors can you look at before they all look the same? I did have a buddy back in the day that stuffed a sbc into a Lark, it went like stink also, but he ended up killing himself in the car, it just wasn't that safe, rolled it end over end twice.

Regardless of what you do, this is a cool car, have fun! Pics will be cool.

#7 ·
The Lark's are great cars, Stude parts are readily available and widely interchangeable between models and years. They were also designed with ease of maintenance in mind. It would be a perfect "first" classic but be forewarned they can be addictive, it's hard to own just one, I'm constantly tempted. They were way ahead of their time in 1953 when the so called "Loewy" coupes came out but then they rested on their laurels and the rest of the industry quickly caught them and left them in the dust but they were still solid dependable cars right up to the end in 1966. Definitely check out the Studebaker Drivers Club.

Studebaker Drivers Club

This is my '55 Stude Commander Coupe, this design is incorrectly attributed to Raymond Loewy. It was in fact one of his employees, Robert Bourke, who designed the cars..... Larks used all the same suspension and driveline as mine. Many parts from '53 thru '66 interchange.

#12 ·
Very cool, nice driver and now it will start "What kind of car is that?" "Studebaker" you will say, "Who makes it" will be the next question. LOL

Brian

#14 ·
Many years ago I had a Golden Hawk it was a 57 I believe, can't remember so far back. I do remember people getting in the car and going goofy looking at all the switches and cool stuff they had it the interior. Unfortunately I was young, stupid, and careless. Ruined that nice car. If only........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.