1963 Chevy II rear end advise needed - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 09:54 AM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

1963 Chevy II rear end advise needed

I'll start soon a chevy II project, it's a '63 6 cylinder 3 speed manual, I want to drop in a mild 350/350 power plant, I need advise on the rear end, is it strong enough to handle the new engine's torque? it's gonna be used for street use, almost daily driven.

Augusto

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Newbie-but learning

Wiki Edits: 0

chevy 2 rearend

try and stick with a 8.5 inch 10 bolt- it was a stock rear that came in the SS model. Currie Ent. sells brand new pieces with all the correct mounting and brackets for install. There are many other rearend manufacturers out there also, keep searching net. New bolt-in rears are about $2000.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Not being a chev guru but I have been told the rears from a s-10 4x4 are the stronger rear and may just fit under that car..worth a trip to the yard with a tape measure to verify this..and tha tis a lot less than a Currie..

Sam
Old 11-11-2007, 05:22 PM

I have a camaro rear end, but I want to know about the stock piece, this cars came with V8's from the factory, but was the same rear end in all of them?

also I have not seen the gear ratio that it's got but it must be a high numerical since it came in a straight six.

Augusto.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:32 PM

Last photo:

stevesnovasite.com can tell ya if a 63 Chevy II rear will hold up to a 350. is that 63 Chevy II rear end a front drop out center like a ford 9" ? I think I read where a mid 90s ford explorer 8.8 rear is the right length and I think they will bolt right in & most have a 373 posi and them yrs have disc brakes. there plenty strong. ford put the 8.8s in Mustang GTs the V8s & in Lighting P/Us plus there SUVs ect. but they are ford bolt pattern. you can have a machine shop re drill the axle bolt pattern.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:03 AM

Last photo:

The '62-'67 Chevy II's never came with an 8.5" rear. Just the old drop-out 10-bolt and, later, the newer integral 10-bolt. Later high-performance ones had the 12-bolt, but those are quite rare.

The '64-'67 rear might work, and is the same 8.2" unit used in their bigger cars, just narrower. It can handle a mild 350 if you don't beat on it real hard, like side-stepping the clutch with slicks, etc. It does require 5-lug wheels, though.

I'd keep what's in it, and just don't be too rough with it. If it gives up the ghost, try a later unit, or have an 8.5" one narrowed to fit.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:13 PM

is it possible to redril the front hubs to accept 5 lugs? the rears are piece of cake, an adapter will make me use rims with an ugly offset, like the FWD rims.

Augusto.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:49 PM

On my 65 I used a rear out of an early to mid 80ís Lincoln Versi. Itís got discs and it should handle anything you throw at it. Itís about ľ inch wider than the stock 10 bolt I took out. I had to have the spring perches welded on, and if you donít want to run two different lug patterns the axels with need to be drilled to Chevy. Other than that itís fairly easy. Iíve got a stout 283 and the 10 bolt worked fine except for being a one legger. Hope that helps.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:25 PM

rear end

63' Nova/Chevy II rears are a drop out/3rd member type rear end. They "look" the same as 55'-64' full size Chevrolet cars, but are not; they have thinner cases, smaller bearings and caps, and won't hold up for long under any kind of power. However, the 55'-64' full size 3rd members will swap right in, and are a lot stronger, but the axles are still the weak point; they're small, but with an automatic, and being careful, should hold up for a while. The brakes are another story altogether! Been there, done that.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:15 AM

Last photo:

You can also use '64-'67 front end components to get the 5-lug pattern on the front. I think you need hubs, spindles, steering arms, and lower control arms, but check at www.stevesnovasite.com/forums to be sure.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.