Hot Rod Forum banner

1964 Buick Skylark resto and mod

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  BuzzLOL 
#1 ·
This will be the home to my build thread since ive read enough negative comments about swapping a SBC into a Skylark. Isnt hotrodding about making it your own?

The plan for this car is pretty simple, yank the fireball V6, install a 350 SBC with a 2004R behind it. The car currently has a posi but I havent determined or decoded the ratio yet.

A little back story on the car -
It was purchased from someone who bought it from the original owners family and the car was bought and spent its whole life in Bangor, PA which is pretty cool. Its been off the road since 1982 and has what is believed to 124,000 miles. The body is good shape with surface rust, a little ding in the passenger door and a small wrinkle in the tail section. There a a couple of small holes in the floor pan that can be patched instead of replacing a section of the floor. The frame and underbody have a bit of surface rust but overall very solid. Most of the under body still has the rubberized coating on it.

Current condition -
It fires right up and that fireball is living up to its name! Its not driveable though due to 0 brake pedal pressure. Upon quick visual inspection of the brake lines I couldnt see a break in the lines or rust through. It may be a failed wheel cylinder. That will change as soon as the new brake system goes in (hopefully this memorial day weekend)

Initial plans -
I have acquired:
98-02 F-body calipers rotors and pads
98-02 F-body brake booster and master cylinder
98-02 F-body backing plates
BRP front spindle kit for disc brakes
New hoses for the brakes
CPP adjustable proportioning valve.
Misc brake fittings and adapters.
350 from a 1979 C10 (rpo code LS9 topped with 882 heads)

Need to get my hands on some wheels so I can have a driveable vehicle as soon as I get the system installed.

I expect to get the system installed this coming weekend then its on to the engine teardown.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the party :welcome:.

Glad to see another one being saved instead of scrapped. It sounds like you have done a little homework and have a reasonable plan ahead for your build. I personally have no problem with people swapping engines from one brand/make to another, it's your car do what you want to it. I can't say for sure on the Buick, but you may have to do a little relocation of the wiring to run the bowtie engine. I know the Oldsmobile was opposite of the Chevy, but I can't say that I remember on the Buick, either way, anything is possible with a little determination:thumbup: SOunds like it will be a nice little ride, keep us updated and of course post pictures when you get time.

Kelly

#3 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I like to be thorough and research anything I dive into whether its cars, yard work or electronics. Theres also the problem of not having a long enough bank roll to buy things as I see them.

So far based on a quick visual check it looks like the fuel line will need to be extended to the passenger side to feed the SBC pump. The distributor on the Buick is located at the front of the engine where the sbc is at the rear, I think that will work to my advantage since I will have already extended wiring. I purchased SBC frame stands from a Chevelle so that should allow the engine to drop in the correct location.

#4 ·
I am not sure about the buick, but the Olds starter is on the driver side, as well as the battery. The Chev is on the passenger side with the battery. Neither of which is a big problem, just something to take note of when making plans if the buick is the same as the Olds set up? Hoenstly I can't remember:smash: Either way I am sure you will be fine.:thumbup:

Kelly

#6 ·
During the week its hard to make progress but it isnt hard to spend money and open packages. Recieved my service manual yesterday and I picked up some 17 wheels with tires. They look like Cragar 398 wheels but I'm not sure. In any case I got em cheap and they look good. Heres a little peek.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
The car currently has a posi but I havent determined or decoded the ratio yet.
. Simply putting the rear on jackstands and counting the driveshaft turns to get a full rotation of the rear tires will tell you the ratio... surprised it's a posi with a V6... but since it's a V6, prolly has a good performance ratio for a V8...

. I have a '64 Buick 300" engine laying around here in pieces, iron block, aluminum heads, 4 bbl. carb... but the aluminum intake got stolen, was prolly scrapped for a measly $20 for a hit of crack... I wanted to use it on my 2 bbl. 215" V8...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.