1964 Ford Thunderbird FE 390 Performance? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008, 01:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
I'd go 428, Edel heads, an Isky solid cam, RPM manifold, headders, 750+ carb... the basics. And go with a rebuilt AOD and a 3.73 rear gear. You'll probably only get about 10MPG, but it could hit the 1/4 in high 11's (depending on cam and compression) and be a blast to drive on the street.
This is my project/fun car, it will not be driven all that much. The only driving it will see is on weekends, and on the way to the track lol. So it could get 8mpg and I probably would not really care. But I think I'm going to run with it the way it is right now, to make sure there is nothing that NEEDS to be changed before I tear into anything. When all seems clear I'll probably do headers and exhaust first, then 750 Holley for starters.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2008, 02:41 PM

Last photo:

nub,
on my last post I was trying to point out that headers and a new exhaust system and a carb change aren't worth the bucks...

and I was "generous" saying that a carb/intake and headers adds 50HP

adding just the carb and headers, you will spend about $1200 to reduce ET by just 3 tenths less than stock....you can't feel that on the street...

most fun added and "bang for the buck" is lower gears...

play with that calculator some...to get to ap72's 11.9 with 4400lbs you need 550HP...can you say "200 Nitrous Oxide HP added"

ta heck with racing it...paint it Dodge flame/poppy red (women LOVE that color) and have a killer "chick magnet"!!!
Old 04-24-2008, 04:42 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red65mustang
nub,
on my last post I was trying to point out that headers and a new exhaust system and a carb change aren't worth the bucks...

and I was "generous" saying that a carb/intake and headers adds 50HP

adding just the carb and headers, you will spend about $1200 to reduce ET by just 3 tenths less than stock....you can't feel that on the street...

most fun added and "bang for the buck" is lower gears...

play with that calculator some...to get to ap72's 11.9 with 4400lbs you need 550HP...can you say "200 Nitrous Oxide HP added"

ta heck with racing it...paint it Dodge flame/poppy red (women LOVE that color) and have a killer "chick magnet"!!!
If you can't get 550HP out of a 428 with those heads and a nice fat solid cam... you shouldn't be left to change your own spark plugs. And while lower gears work well for stop lights, they are also very limited, you can run 4.56's on a stock 302 and moake nothing more than a lot of noise.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:15 PM

Last photo:

ap72,
good grief!
take a "chill pill"!

I was refering to his present 390 motor.....what it takes for hp increase to be in the elevens with 4400 lbs
Old 04-25-2008, 09:29 AM

Ok I went out to his land to look at the Tbird last night, and ended up not getting it. The Tbird was in amazing shape, only thing wrong with it was the headliner was starting to fall, and the carpet was cut up. But all the electric worked, and the engine fired up. But in the end I decided not to, because instead I bought his 1970 Mercury Cougar Eliminator. The body is in near perfect shape with the exception of a few spots of surface rust and one golf ball size ding in the right rear quarter panel. The interior is probably the worst of it, missing the passenger seat, no carpet, no headliner, and the dash cracked. But the floor boards are in good shape with some slight surface rust. And under the hood is a 460 that needs a new carb and to be cleaned up some. He sold me the car for what I thought was pretty cheap, the only thing that did not come with the car that was on there were the mag wheels. But that is ok because in my father's garage back home are a pair of Crager Rockets for the reat, and some steelies that will fit on the front for now. So I think I made out pretty good all in all. I feel kind of bad about starting a post on a car that I ended up not getting. But I feel I got myself an even better car to have fun with. Oh and one more thing, the headlights still work . The car is the orange with the black detail, and what is left of the interior is black.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:43 AM

Last photo:

nub,
you made a (to me) very very wise choice because a Cougar "IS" a Mustang literally and there are dirt cheap (relatively speaking) after mkt parts available for 95% of the car!!!

here's just one (of 30+) resto-parts houses catalogs online...note they even have a Cougar catalog...

http://mustangsunlimited.reachlocal....reachlocal.net

now you can have a "cruiser and a strip beast and a chick-magnet"
Old 04-25-2008, 10:31 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

I once dated a chick with a '69 cougar, it wasn't as fast as my cutlass, but was still a blast to drive... she sold the car and soon after we broke up... I don't thing they were related, but maybe I was just in it for driving privledges.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:38 PM

Well I guess there was only something like 2200 Eliminators ever made. If that is true then that makes me even happier. To bad it does not have the BOSS 302 in it anymore.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:58 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

eh, the BOSS 302 is just a novelty thing now. you're much better off with the 460.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:39 PM

brakes

Make sure the first thing you do is update those brakes. The 60 t-birds don't like to stop great. i would recommend some disk on the front. then go from there.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:09 PM

Last photo:

t bird

This car will be either fixed by now or scrapped because the post is from 2008.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.