1964 Impala - Installing Kill Switch - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011, 06:52 PM
64Joker

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1964 Impala - Installing Kill Switch

I want to install a simple kill switch going to the coil using a on/off switch.
Do I want to connect to the positive or negative side of the coil?

Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 07:08 PM

Last photo:

Why not hook it up in series with the netural safety switch, easy to do
Old 02-27-2011, 07:46 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64Joker
I want to install a simple kill switch going to the coil using a on/off switch.
Do I want to connect to the positive or negative side of the coil?Thanks!
Neg. side.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:14 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

A switch on either terminal of the coil, in series with the existing wire there, will work as a kill switch. Unfortunately, anyone who opens the hood will see this. A better approach is to add a wire to the negative terminal (same side as the wire to the distributor) that is grounded when the switch is closed (turned on). Turn the switch off to start the car. This way there's no obvious break in the wires if someone with any smarts looks under the hood.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:21 PM

Last photo:

Bottom of the steering column, is the NSS I think it's a pink and a purple wire going in/out of the switch...... unplug the purple one and hook the wire up to one side of a toggle switch (USE SPADE CONNECTORS), hook the other side of the toggle switch to the NSS (where you just unplugged the purple wire from). If at some point you want to undo it..... simply plug the purple wire back where it was orig connected.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Guy
Bottom of the steering column, is the NSS I think it's a pink and a purple wire going in/out of the switch...... unplug the purple one and hook the wire up to one side of a toggle switch (USE SPADE CONNECTORS), hook the other side of the toggle switch to the NSS (where you just unplugged the purple wire from). If at some point you want to undo it..... simply plug the purple wire back where it was orig connected.
That certainly works, and in fact I've even used that method before. The reason why I like the switch that shorts the coil is that if you open the NSS circuit, the engine won't turn over and assuming the thief isn't a complete idiot, he'll either look for a kill switch or short the starter solenoid to crank the engine. By shorting the coil, the car cranks but won't start. Most people will think the car has a starting problem.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:56 AM

Last photo:

Anybody that "knows anything" about these old cars knows how to hot wire a car directly to the coil......... both ways have flaws......

I used to have a column auto shifter and column mounted NSS, and I use that in series with the new floor mounted shifter NSS..... works very well.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Guy
Anybody that "knows anything" about these old cars knows how to hot wire a car directly to the coil......... both ways have flaws......

I used to have a column auto shifter and column mounted NSS, and I use that in series with the new floor mounted shifter NSS..... works very well.
Here's the big difference. If you use the NSS circuit, or even the power circuit to the coil, you are correct that a thief can easily hotwire around the kill switch. If, however, you SHORT the distributor side of the coil with a kill switch, you can hotwire anything you want and the car still won't start unless the thief knows to cut or remove this shorting wire. Since the wire looks like it runs a tach or something, there's no way for him to know what it even does.

Yes, a determined thief will steal your car. The whole point of this is to make it more difficult so he won't take the time and instead moves on to someone else's car.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:12 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

I used to repo cars for several car lots in the 80's. 99% of the time, I had a key provided by the lot owner (too easy). I would get dropped off a block from the target car and walk to the house or business where they worked.

Worst case was a big dog raising hell in the yard and speed was essential for your own well being. If I got in and the car wouldn't start on the first couple of cranks, I split fast back to the ride that waited for me around the corner.
The last thing in the world I would do is open the hood and look for a problem.
The worst car's were the mopars as the would like to die when you backed the up in reverse and put them into drive. My method for them was keep the revs high and dump them into D and mash it usually leaving rubber on the ground. If I was un-successful the roll back was called but the price went up so I was the first sent to try and pick it up. Fortunately I never got shot at but I've heard stories which kept me on my toes for sure.
The people that got their cars repoed would show up the next day ditching about it and would either pay the full amount to get it back or clean out their personal belongings and would look over at me and ask if I was the one that grabbed their car. I would tell them I'm just a lot boy. He has pro's that do that for him. A simple kill switch will work for theft but it's hard to stop a repo.
Best way is keep the car in a garage or park it a mile from where you work and walk the rest of the way. The worst place is a public parking lot like a mall or store that you can be followed to while your inside and can't see it.
My moms 76 ford PU was stolen once and after almost a year, it was found 3 blocks away by a mail man that happened to spot it. It had over 6,000 miles on it from after it had been stolen. Never caught the guy but she got it back with a full tank of gas.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:10 PM

Last photo:

Not to get into it with you about which way is better...... anybody that knows these cars would simply remove the wires to the coil, because it's very well known how to make a coil kill switch, and install premade hot wires (if one stole cars for a living he wouldn't want to hang out too long.... hence premade).... both have flaws etc....

Sqz..... I used to repo for my old man.... He had a car lot etc...
Old 03-03-2011, 01:04 PM
64Joker

Last photo:

Follow-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
Neg. side.
So I run one wire from the on/off switch to the neg - side of the coil, does
the second wire just gets grounded on the switch side?

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64Joker
So I run one wire from the on/off switch to the neg - side of the coil, does
the second wire just gets grounded on the switch side?

Thanks!
Yes. Just remember that the switch needs to be in the OFF position to start the car and the ON position to kill it.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.