Hot Rod Forum banner

1964 Impala SS - Coil + wire to fusebox ?

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  steve t 
#1 ·
Installing new fusebox on 1964 Impala SS, where does the positive + coil wire end up at the fusebox (ignition, battery, ?). Thanks in advance..

#3 ·
Follow-up Question

installling new dash wiring harness also, attempting to hotwire, ignition switch is setup for a hotwire, but the switch is not mounted yet (waiting for new ignition lock), is it necessary to ground the switch for the hotwire to work?

Jumpers wired on witch as:

Battery to Ignition - connected
Battery to Sol - touch it until car turns over, release

#4 ·
That should do it.

You could also run a wire from the battery to coil +
and a wire from the solenoid back to the batt for bumping the starter.
would achieve the same thing under the hood instead of fighting under the dash.

The only reason the ignition switch would need to be grounded, is for the lamp that is mounted behind the dash.

I put a 64 switch in the 59elky so I would have the accessory position, also because I could get a reproduction ign. sw. bezel.

I also rewired the 59

Bryan

#6 ·
67 Deuce 4 Me said:
Are you using Points or HEI ? If its points you need to use a resistor in combination with a full 12 volts during cranking normally picked up at the "R" stud on the started solenoid. If its HEI switched ignition 12v source is all you need.
Yep---I had a brain fart:drunk: ----I got a HEI in all my GM

Got a tendancy to forget about points systems

Bryan

#7 ·
HEI versus Coil/Resistor

Thanks for the information on the electrical system, I'm running a distributor with points, thus an upgraded Mallory coil/with resistor. I've had the car for 3 years and have not gotten into the engine yet. I purchased the car (64 Impala SS) with a rebuilt 327 with a few upgrades from stock condition (intake, carb, etc.). I've been reading about the HEI setup and I'm not sure if it would be adventageous to upgrade to that system at this time, or if my engine would even accept that technology!? According to various articles, the first HEI systems came out in the mid 70's through the mid 80's which then switched to computerized systems...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.