Hot Rod Forum banner

1964 Impala SS - Headliner Question

7K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  DanTwoLakes 
#1 ·
I'm restorting my 64 Impala SS interior, I removed the headliner and the 6 metal rods running through it. I numbered the rods in order (front to back of car).

After cleaning the metal rods with a wire brush and spray painting them, I noticed one of the rods (number 3) and the thinest gauge compared to the rest, appears to be short. Not sure what happened, perhaps the rod broke while cleaning them with a wire brush using a grinder.

I measured the rest of them, and all of the rods are approx. 53.5 inches to 54.5 inches long, where as the number 3 rod is only 51.5 inches.

Question(s):

Does anyone have the measurements of these rods?
If I need to replace #3 rod, do they sell these in the after market shops,
or do I need to track on down from a private seller?

#2 ·
If my old geezer brain rembers correctly. The center headliner bow is not the same as the outer ones. The center bow is placed in the body first, then the headliner is pulled to the rear as the back headliner/bows are installed. Once anchored. The forward headliner/bows are installed. Stretched and tucked.

It's been since the sixties that I did one of these, but I did quite a few in the day..

#3 · (Edited)
Was the center bow completely different than the other 5? Was it more like heavy paper covered wire than a metal rod? If so, Bob is right. The listing and wire gets held in place by hooks that are part of the center strut next to the dome light and not hung from each side like the other ones. That listing is attached first, and depending on which way the hooks face, you either work forward or backward from the center.

Check the 2nd picture in the 7th post of THIS thread. You can see the stake wire under the "C" written on the back of the headliner. If there was stake wire in that listing in your car, it could have broken when you took it out and you would never have known that it was broken. Fortunately, stake wire is a lot easier to find than the correct bows for your car. Any upholstery shop should have this paper covered wire. If you can't find any locally, PM me and I'll send you some.

#4 ·
DANTWOLAKES, I was able to confirm the lenght of the #3 bow/rod is correct, so I dont' believe any part of it broke off, and that it was originally covered with the cardboard paper material (at least part of it was).

Follow-up question(s):
The #3 rod/bow is thinner than the other 5, and it is solid metal.
Would the cardboard/paper material make up the difference in lenght for the bow?
In other words, does the cardboard/paper material attach to the end of the rod/bow to make up the lenght difference, then hook into the?

Not sure how the hooks fit into the picture, I dont recall any hooks coming off of the center strut next to the doom light on the 64 Impala!?? Thanks again...

#5 ·
The stake wire would replace the metal rod in the listing, not add to the ends of it. If the #3 bow is too short to reach the sides of the car, and it is the right length, there has to be a way to attach that bow and listing to the strut across the roof of the car. What I call hooks would probably be better described as pointed tabs punched in the strut.

If there was a paper covering on part of the bow, it went the whole length of the bow. What diameter is the bow? Is it the size of heavy wire and springy, or is it a solid rod?

#6 ·
Reply to Dan 2 Lakes

The #3 bow is about 1/8 in. in diameter.
The #3 bow is a solid metal rod.

Do you have a picture of a "hook" that you mentioned, either standalone
or installed?
The car's interior was reupholstered by the previous owner, so I suspect
that perhaps they jury rigged the setup because I dont recall seeing any hooks.

#7 ·
They are "V" shaped tabs stamped into the strut itself. If the rod is only 1/8" in diameter, it was probably paper covered stake wire. If the tabs are not there, use anything you can think of to attach the wire in the listing to the strut.

#9 ·
I'm afraid you'll have to ask the GM engineers that question. It would not have to be stake wire in that listing, it could have been a steel rod, but stake wire is a lot cheaper. The reason it's there is to create a starting point for the headliner installation. Once that listing is secure, you work forward and backward from that point.

I did a '49 Packard headliner and the bow that was the farthest back slipped into a bracket that held that bow in place so it wouldn't move. This was the starting point for that particular headliner, and you worked forward from there. Holding that bow in place insured that all the rest of the bows would be held in their proper positions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.