1965 Chevelle Malibu SS, to restore or not? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2003, 06:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS, to restore or not?

First I'd like to thank you all for a great site. I've been reading for quite a while and have learned a lot.

This past weekend however, an event occured that prompted me to ask you all a question. In 1974 and 1975 I was a junior and senior in high school. I owned a 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS. This past weekend I found the exact same car, for sale, for $1,500.

Theres no engine or transmission, the body is fairly straight but somewhat rusty. Theres only one visible spot where body filler has been used on the drivers side door. All the glass is in, the door panels are there, as well as the back seat. All obviously need complete restoration. Underneath the same 12 bolt posi is still there. I plan to take a magnet to the body and see what else I can find. I haven't had a chance to look in the trunk yet. It currently has a 1976 license plate on it so my guess it it has been setting for the last 28 years.

Heres my question. What are some signs that a car is just to far gone for restoration? What should I look for that I might not already know to look for. If theres any hope at all I plan to make this my next project car.

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2003, 07:23 PM
Murderator

Last journal entry: Brackets, Stories and the future
Last photo:

techically no car is too far for restoration...it's only a matter of your skill and what you are willing to undertake.

You could find a car that is in pretty darn good shape but the repairs required might be out of your comfort level...so to YOU it's not feasible to repair.

Then you've got cars from the 30's...where there's nothing much left but a frame, and people manage to get these restored to perfect working order.

Me personally...I'm not really skilled, but if I found the car you are talking about for that price...I'd pick it up without a second thought...than again, I'm not the type that would try to make it like it was when it came off the show-room floor.

good luck bro.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:40 PM
Last photo:

Is a 65 SS Chevelle worth restoring? Yer durn tootin it is!!! $1500 is a very good price for such a car, especially if much of the interior is still there.

Vince
Old 09-16-2003, 08:19 PM

Man if you haven't already bought it you need to get busy.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:13 PM

I went tonight after work, about 5:30 PM and spent about 30 minutes looking at the car. All the glass is in it, none is broken, the windows roll up and down, the vents under the dash work, both doors open and close the hood latches, I haven't been in the trunk yet, the floor is solid, the clutch, brake, and gas pedal are all in place, the vinyl on top the dash is ripped up but the dash is all there.

I called the number on the windshield about 5:30 PM, a little girl. answers and tells me nobody is there right now but her mom will be home at 9:00 PM. I call again at 9:38 PM and same little girl tells me her mom is asleep. I ask when is a good time to call about the car and she tells me around 5:00 PM tomorrow. All I can do is try tomorrow.

There was another guy there tonight taking video of it telling me he has a guy he works with who might be interested, and he was taking pictures for him.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:17 AM
Murderator

Last journal entry: Brackets, Stories and the future
Last photo:

I'd call and tell the little girl that the car is sold...and leave your number.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:40 AM
Galaxie Man

Last photo:

Pull the info off the door tag and research the car. I've seen wrong badges, wrong colors, wrong engines, and wrong year of parts on factory looking cars.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:39 PM

Woo Hoo!!! Your reading the post of one happy guy. I finally got past the little girl to "Paula." I told her I was interested in the car and asked when would be a good time to come talk about it, she said how about right now, I said OK.

Well, since I had already checked it out plenty, all that was left was the price. I started off by telling her I didn't want to insult her but let me make and offer and you tell me if its good enough. So......I said will you take $1,000 cash and without hesitation she smiled and said "you bet."

I am now, once again, the proud owner of 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS vin #138375B146921. I'll try and post some pics in the next few days.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:22 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Congrats on the new purchase. If the floors are good you are in luck. For a grand you got a good deal. Can't wait to see pics.

Kevin
Old 09-18-2003, 01:19 AM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Happy Happy
Old 09-18-2003, 08:44 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

See.... Good things come to those that DON'T wait.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:13 PM
Last photo:

Congratulations on your purchase, there are not that many 65 SS's out there. You will have a unique car when you finish it. If there are holes in the floor that is no problem. You can purchase new floor pans, they are availiable. You may have to learn to MIG weld though.

Vince
Old 09-18-2003, 05:20 PM

Well, the 65 is in my garage now. I was never able to get the trunk open until I got it home and messed with it a bit, but once I got it open...JACKPOT!

There was a GM four speed transmission complete. I haven't had a chance to run some of the numbers on the casing yet to see just which four speed it is. There were 4 SS hub caps in perfect conditon. They have the red SS under plastic in the center section. There were also 4 what look to me like corvette hubcaps in perfect condition. The have the flags crossed in the center section with about a hundered or so fins about a 1/2" apart around the cap. There were 3 rally wheel caps and chrome beauty rings in perfect conditon. And best of all there was a ton of various chrome trim for the car. Even pieces that are still on the car. Also a box of misc parts, hoses, gaskets, tail light and turn signal lenses, gaskets, a gas pedal. a couple of arm rests, the ash tray.

I don't have a web site but I'd like to put up a few pictures. Maybe you guys could help ID some of this stuff. Anybody willing to post'em for me if I e-mailed them to you?

Last edited by GMW; 09-18-2003 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:03 PM

Lucky Guy

Congrats!!!!!! I am a ,65 malibu ss owner and I dream of finding such a jackpot as you did.You did very well.Really rub it in now...is the original 4-speed console still there? Just kidding. Congrats again,and hope your project moves along smartly. ss433
Old 11-28-2006, 03:12 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

You can post the pics directly off of your computer by the "Manage attachment" button in yout reply. It will let you post 5 pics per reply.
If you can figure that then e-mail them to me and I will post them for you. But best bet would be to start your own Photo album on the Hotrodders site and keep them there for all to enjoy.

Kevin

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.