Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1965 Chevy II Nova Steering Problems
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1965 Chevy II Nova Steering Problems

I bought a 65 Nova off of a guy (he is clueless) and he had put "the 5 lug conversion" on it. It has disc brakes on the front, I believe he may have taken them off of another vehicle. Here is the problem,

It needed strut bar bushings and a serious alignment. I replaced the bushings but when I went to line up the toe and camber it got kind of strange. First off, the camber is too far off to even come close with the eccentrics. Then, whenever you go forward and hit the brakes the car takes a dive and the tires toe out to a ridiculous angle. Go in reverse the front end rises up and the tires toe-in to the same angle. No matter what I do I can't get the wheels centered in the wheel wells.

One problem that I found is that the spindles are marked LH and RH and as far as I can tell they are on the wrong sides. But the brakes and tie rods are mounted and functioning correctly.

What I am wondering is if it is possible to just swap sides and flip the spindles upside down to get them to work. (This seems to be the one thing that would eliminate most of the angle problems)

Or is it possible that someone took spindles off of a front steer car and stuck them on this car...which is rear steer, then stuck them on opposite sides so that it would mount up?

Any insight into how these disc brake swaps are usually done on these cars would be helpful. Also if you know which car I can get a direct bolt-in off of please let me know.

Mark

Last edited by Double_v23; 03-08-2009 at 07:31 PM.