1965 dodge straight axle conversion - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 05:50 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

1965 dodge straight axle conversion

anyone out there have a 1965 dodge "B" body car, coronet, etc., that they have sucessfully converted to a straight axle car? i contacted mosher engineering in calif., spoke with their fabricator who does all of their conversions, he can do it, but the car must be there, and i want to do it myself. also, i cannot get the car to calif. that guy does really high end work. very nice to talk to. i'm interested in purchasing the entire unit, axle, springs, tie rods, grag link, steering box, and of course, speak with the person/people who have performed this task. my car already has disc's at all corners. the fabricator from calif. uses dodge a-100 van/truck straight axles/assy's, but the tricky part is the steering box/drag link, etc. i think i can obtain an a-100 axle assy., but detailed info on the application is what i need, i'm looking for something tried and true, so i'm hoping to get some info on this. thanx to anyone who can assist me. jesebelle

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 04:34 PM

Last photo:

for this era Mopar I've always found

this site for A bodies

a good source of info, obviously it's geared at the A bodies but there's plenty of guys on there with B Body's...
Old 01-20-2011, 05:28 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

That what you wish to do has been done on lots of the old gassers..what you need to do is reinforce the forward part of the chassis so you have good attachment points for the spring hangers and then we use a cross steering with the end of the pitman arm on the steering box exactly in line with a line drawn between the 2 steering arms on the axle. then you will need about 7 degrees of castor for your alignment. this is all done on a frame jig which you can make yourself so the new axle goes in plumb square and level and on center of the car. If you cannot find a dodge A-100 axle then Speedway has the traditional straight tube axle and all the pieces that you need to do this..

Good Luck
Sam
Old 01-20-2011, 06:18 PM

straight axle

thanx for the quick reply you guys. i'm pretty sure i can get my hands on an a-100 straight axle, and all of the bones that go with it, springs,and the other stuff too. removing the "K" member should be no big deal, the engine will remain in the car , way too much work to remove it. i'm not too concerned about getting the axle and springs mounted, and the tie rods should be straight forward also. i will reinforce the areas of connection as you suggested. the car has power steering, i realize that will have to go. i was unable to use the stock power steering pump, as the blower belt / pulleys were in the way. i mounted a jap(!) power steering pump on a plate i fabricated that bolts where the stock fuel pump went, very hard to see, so thats a good thing, although it works great. my real concern is the fabricating of the drag link, and where to cut the steering colmn shaft and apply the u-joint and bearings. i would really like to see an application that someone has done on a "b" body car. i want this to come out right the first time,go down the road straight, and it has to look good too. very nice of you guys to help me out, i expect that with your advice, i'll conquer this task.i'll surely accept any advice you guys give me. thanx again. jessebelle
Old 02-05-2011, 05:40 AM

thanx dq81

thanx dq81, i'll give it a shot. jessebelle
Old 08-26-2012, 04:07 AM

1965 dodge coronet 440 straight axle conversion

i am going to begin the conversion shortly. amazingly enough, i found a straight axle from a 1968 dodge truck(d-100), about 20 miles from my home. my ? is: anyone know if the d-100 axle is the same width as the axle from a a-100? i'm thinking that it may be wider, but am unsure, cannot find info on either. the a-100 is usually preferred for this straight axle conversion on a "B" body mopar, it seems. also, my car has power steering, which is a must. i'm hoping to use a rack / pinion set-up, looks much neater, and i'm thinking on fabbing mounts to secure it to the axle. any info on this would be greatly appreciated. i could purchase the entire kit from sources, but being to obtain a dodge set-up, at a good price would be advantageous, as i will need to buy new front tork thrust "D" wheels,do a disc brake changeover, etc., keeping the price of this conversion in line. guess that is it for now, thanx.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.