1965 Ford Galaxie Classic Street-racer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2005, 09:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1965 Ford Galaxie Classic Street-racer

I recently bought a 1965 Ford Galaxie 500XL after I sold my Falcon. I've intended on making it a classic street-racing car a farm-kid would have had in highschool. After talking to my grandpa, he said in Burlington, Illinois kids would have cars with original paint, original motors (no up-grades), original interiors bought off grandmas and would make them fast (for the day) cars. He said they would keep the ****ty and worn paint the same, get new rims (reversed chrome OE), keep the worn interior the same, and build the engines with whatever money they had. Brakes, paint, interior and suspension were nothing to worry about back then with the poor kids. Only what lay under the hood counted because good brakes and paint wouldn't make you go faster.
I've decided to keep the worn white paint, "ok" shocks and springs, worn interior, and drum brakes in front and rear. In exchange for saving money on all of that I'll spend it all on engine parts like a cam, headers, carb., and manifold to give it a little gitty-up.
The car already has a 390 FE big block with a 4 barrel, but the carb. is ****ty and I'd rather have a Holley.
I was just wondering what all you old rodders out there thought of my plan on making a budget 'rod'. One some of you older men might of had in the late 60's, early 70's and would be happy to see a young kid such as myself with my hair butched up top and slicked on the sides and a pack on unfiltered camels in the sleeve of my plain white T-shirt.

Off I go to cruise the main drag and search for some broads to take to the sock hop. Then race someone that claims to be the hottest wheels in town.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2005, 12:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

NEVER skimp on safety. Make sure your brakes are in good shape. And I don't mean "good enough" either.

I have a 66 with a 352. Those drum brakes can be scary in the front. No matter how much adjusting I did, it will always pull a little to one side or the other when you get on the brakes hard. Don't skimp on your shocks either. You're talking about a big ole boat. It NEEDS good shocks if you want to be able to keep the thing straight. Its hard to keep control when you are bouncing around.

I had a hard time buying headers because a lot of companies don't list them. A 65 & 66 are pretty much the same car. I purchased a set of header from Speedway a few years ago. I had to send them back three times to have them reworked. They would never fit in a million years. After finally getting to talk on the phone with the owner, he admitted they had never actually fit them on a 65-66. They fit on a 64 just fine and assumed they for 65-66 as well and were selling them as such. Pissed me off with all the headache they were.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:06 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Don't remember that fad..........maybe because of different locations. We couldn't afford much, but always tried to have nice paint etc. You are right about the shocks and brakes though......love "Brake Fade", it really wakes you up. Years of experience has taught me that a complete package is the only way to go.

Budget RVs

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.