1965 ford truck taillight trouble - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2004, 04:35 PM

Last journal entry: more pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1965 ford truck taillight trouble

having truoble disecting my tail light problem. i just purchsed a 1965 ford f100 4x4 . It has had its 300 inline six yanked out and swaped out for a 87 5.0, but most of my problem is with the serious hack job of the taillight wiring and how they spliced it all apart to add trailer light harness. i want to start at the factory wires and replace them to the corasponding lights but without a service manual that has been hard to find. I want to nip this thin in the bud asap. so if anyone can tell me what color wires from the factory wires go where it would be greatly appericated.also any sugestions are also accepted. thanks speedracer0006

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2004, 06:14 PM

Wired

If it's original wiring, you want to get rid of it anyway. The insulation wasn't the best way back in 1965, and sounds like it's been hacked up as well.

New wiring harnesses don't cost that much from a street rod supplier, but you'll have to put some work in to complete the job.

This way you will have better quality wires, eliminate problems, and have a nice reliable electrical system for years to come.

New harnesses will have wires labeled to where they go, will include a new fuse box with modern easy to find fuses, and give you additional circuits for any add-on's you want to do later as well.

Steve
Old 02-22-2004, 08:11 PM

Last journal entry: more pics
Last photo:

thanks

thanks steve is there any way i could fix the problem i need it to be my daily driver cause i am selling my 1980 el camino. wife says we have too many projects going on right now. i have been tring to locate a service manual for my truck to help with its few electrical gremlins thanks again
Old 02-22-2004, 08:28 PM

wiring

The more you NEED to rely on this, the more it could let you down. You might fix this problem then find you have another. I'd highly recommend you change the harness in the truck and verify it's reliability before you sell the Elkie.

Even if you found a factory service manual, there's a chance you might not be able to tell what goes where. I am no expert and couldn't tell you what colored wire to look for and see if it's connected to terminal x.

If you have a multi-meter it would help to troubleshoot if you really insist on not changing the wiring harness. I'd start by verifying the signal is not at the bulb socket and see what other signals are there. I'd also make double sure I had good grounds and no corroded contacts.

Good luck, you are going to need it looks like.

Steve
Old 02-23-2004, 01:40 AM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

Hey, SpeedRacer

Here's what I did ... $165 and I'm safe and secure!
Click Here

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.