Hot Rod Forum banner

1965 mustang drivetrain

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  speedbump 
#1 · (Edited)
i got a 65 stang with a worn out 302. i wanna go with a crate 302, c6 trans and a posi rearend. im lookin for any help with picking the right combo..i want it to be a weekend/daly driver, but loud and fast .........

#2 ·
Do yourself a favor and make an overdrive trans part of your build. It makes the car so much more fun and versatile. A C-6 is overkill for the power a crate 302 will produce, IMO. If your budget requires a three speed, use a C-4, it's a bolt in without cutting floor or firewall.

#4 ·
You know about opinions, so here's mine. You need to look for an AOD trans for your project, if you're stuck on an auto trans. They came in the newer mustangs, etc and have a .68 OD ratio, which is really nice for cruising. They also have a lower first gear which helps the 302 work better from a stop light. you will have to spend some money to get a good AOD, but trust me, it's worth it the first time. I've probably spent $5K on different renditions of the AOD, trying to save some money. It just doesn't work for that trans. The best valve body I've found is by a Canadian company called Lentech. They also make transmissions to go with their valve body. Visit their website. TCI also makes some good ones. IMO, the two things to look for in getting a good AOD is; make sure you can manually control first, second and third gear. Many valve bodies will not let you contol the 1-2 shift. In that respect, Lentech is the best. Also make sure the company you choose does the "constant pressure" mod on your valve body. That takes the worry of throttle cable adjustment and ruined transmissions out of the picture. TCI was the first to do this. Visit thier website. After going through this learning curve/money, I finally have an AOD in my 27 T street rod that I am happy with. Leaves hard from the stop light and cruises 75mph at 2,200 rpm, and that's with a 4.11 locker rear end. The 8" rear in your stock mustang is pretty good and there are lots of good parts, including posi units made for it.

#9 ·
Have you even talked to an engine builder? Or did you get all your info regarding the crater from Summit/Jeg's? While crate engines offer convenience, unless you spend a BUNCH, they offer little else. Of course, if you want yours to "run" just like the guy next to you, and the guy next to him, etc., put a crater in there just like they did... I guess I don't understand the "cookie cutter" approach to performance. I do know, my brother ad my nephew are ALWAYS pounding on the craters around them, and usually getting better mileage in the process. Their Fords are NOT crate engines...

Of course, we put it in a crate to ship it... :)-

Jim

#11 ·
There are guys/shops like me who are small and specialize in street rod/custom engines. Some research in your area and or talking to people in the hot rod crowd will give you some names. Be very carefull! It WILL cost more than a crate engine, but there are lots of folks who might take advantage of your lack of engine expertise. Follow up your research with verifiable end of project reports.
I think it's pretty good that you recognize your current limitations. There's a world of people that get into engine building because "any idiot can do it" and then need lots of people/money to bail them out....or they are dissatisfied with their finished product and much of the problem is what they did or did not do during the build. Ford motorsports and others like Edelbrock make some pretty killer "crate" engines. For about the same money, I'd look at the 302 stroker versions like the 347 cid engine. That many cubes in a moderate, low maintenance state of tune will make your Mustang such a fun car you'll never look back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.