Hot Rod Forum banner

1965 Mustang vent window frames

11K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
I have a 1965 Mustang and I'm trying to remove the vent window frames so I can replace the window seals. I have the roll up window removed and all the bolts for the frame. However, I can't figure out where to go from here. The hpoto shows the attachment at the bottom of the frame. Does anyone know how to do this? I appreciate it very much.
Door handle Door Lock Wood

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior Hood

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not sure what your question is...are you trying to remove the vent window then?

That bolt at the bottom there in your picture is an adjustment screw. I have a 67 so yours might be a little different mine, however on the door panel side you should have access to the head of that bolt. It might have an allen head with a hex lock nut around it. It should screw right out, and the vent window will lift up out of place.

#4 ·
There is a nut on that stud that you need to remove. Not the nut you see, but one on the inside of that box that's welded to the inside of the door frame. If you look thru the hole in the door frame (right behind the where the interior door panel covers up) you will see a nut on that stud. The stud has a slot in the end of it. Remove the nut, sometimes when the threads get dirty or boogered up the stud will turn, but try to get the nut off without doing that because it will change your window alignment. It may need to be changed of course, but it's always nice to start where it was, so try not to let the stud turn.

Anyway, you remove that nut that is thru the hole in the door frame and you tilt the wing window in at the top letting that stud come out of the hole in the door. You then pull the wing window up out of the door. You will need to twist it of course when that stud on the bottom of the channel reaches the top of the door.

Brian

#5 ·
I have a 1965 Mustang and I'm trying to remove the vent window frames so I can replace the window seals. I have the roll up window removed and all the bolts for the frame. However, I can't figure out where to go from here. The hpoto shows the attachment at the bottom of the frame. Does anyone know how to do this? I appreciate it very much.
View attachment 73612

View attachment 73613
Just so you have a good understanding of how this works so it will make sense to you.

The is the stud I am referring to you see in the photo going into that nut on the bottom of the vent frame/front window channel.

That nut is welded to the vent window frame/window channel. The stud is screwed into it. The "washer" looking part to the right of the nut on that stud is part of the stud. You adjust the top of the vent frame in and out at the roof by loosening the nut (it's a lock nut, stopping the stud from turning) on the other end of the stud thru the hole I have described in the previous post. You loosen the nut, then using a screw driver in the slot at the end of the stud you turn it screwing it in or out of that nut you see welded to the vent frame/window channel in your photo. By screwing it in, it pulls the bottom of the vent frame towards the interior frame of the door, thus making the top of the vent go out away from the roof of the car. Screwing out the stud does just the opposite bringing the vent in at the roof.

So you don't want to screw that stud from where it is. You remove the lock nut and the whole thing comes out. When you get it to the top of the door you need to rotate the vent assy so that the stud comes out thru the slot in the top of the door where the glass goes. But it's likely it will need to be adjusted anyway so if it moves it's not a big deal. But you want to start with it close so leaving it as it is is the best way to go.

Brian

#6 ·
1965 Mustang vent window frames Reply to Thread

Martin, thanks so much for your help. Also to the others that replied. I'll try that tomorrow. I just (so far) don't see an opening on the door panel where there is access to the nut, but I'm going to give it a try. Thanks again!!!!!

#8 ·
Brian, thank you so much for your help!!!! I looked and looked and couldn't find a round hole! When you sent the latest photo of the door, at least I knew the area to look. Still nothing! Then I noticed a small tear in the area and there it was!!!! The hole was covered by the paper barrier on the door. The door panel had been taken off to paint the car, so the paper was there but painted body color. I cut through the hole and there it was! I feel pretty stupid, but not any more, thanks to you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.