Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1965 Mustang vent window frames
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 11:03 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,321 Times in 1,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cunningham View Post
I have a 1965 Mustang and I'm trying to remove the vent window frames so I can replace the window seals. I have the roll up window removed and all the bolts for the frame. However, I can't figure out where to go from here. The hpoto shows the attachment at the bottom of the frame. Does anyone know how to do this? I appreciate it very much.
Attachment 73612

Attachment 73613
Just so you have a good understanding of how this works so it will make sense to you.

The is the stud I am referring to you see in the photo going into that nut on the bottom of the vent frame/front window channel.

That nut is welded to the vent window frame/window channel. The stud is screwed into it. The "washer" looking part to the right of the nut on that stud is part of the stud. You adjust the top of the vent frame in and out at the roof by loosening the nut (it's a lock nut, stopping the stud from turning) on the other end of the stud thru the hole I have described in the previous post. You loosen the nut, then using a screw driver in the slot at the end of the stud you turn it screwing it in or out of that nut you see welded to the vent frame/window channel in your photo. By screwing it in, it pulls the bottom of the vent frame towards the interior frame of the door, thus making the top of the vent go out away from the roof of the car. Screwing out the stud does just the opposite bringing the vent in at the roof.

So you don't want to screw that stud from where it is. You remove the lock nut and the whole thing comes out. When you get it to the top of the door you need to rotate the vent assy so that the stud comes out thru the slot in the top of the door where the glass goes. But it's likely it will need to be adjusted anyway so if it moves it's not a big deal. But you want to start with it close so leaving it as it is is the best way to go.

Brian