1966 belair V8 engine frame mounts - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2010, 03:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1966 belair V8 engine frame mounts

Hello.
As I am swapping my L6 engine for a SB V8 I'm in need of engine frame mounts for the V8. They seem nowhere to be found and I plan to build me a pair of mounts myself. But I don't have a clue what they should look like since I have no V8 car to look at and can't find any pictures of them. I don't even know how many or witch of the six holes (on each side) in the k-member to use for a sbc installation.

I know it's hard to try and explain this, but give it try if you know something about this (i.e. height and some kind of measurment from a fastener bolt to connecting bolt hole). A picture of a 65-66 full size chevy engine frame mount for V8 could also be very helpfull, especially if its in car.

Of course I'm also interested if anybody know where to buy these mounts.

Thanks/Jesper

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2010, 03:29 PM

Last photo:

These are from RockAuto>> http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=314932 they fit numerous other GM cars if you click on the higlighted Part# in catalog it will show the list.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
Old 09-25-2010, 03:48 PM

Last photo:

Yes, thanks, but that is the part that mounts on the engine, right?
I'm in need of the on the ones that mounts on the frame. There should be no rubber, just a stamped steel bracket.
I've found a picture now that shows that they should bolted in the upper holes in the frame, but the hard part is to know how high they need to be.

Thanks/Jesper
Old 09-25-2010, 03:54 PM

Last photo:

Yes those are engine side. The list will give you an idea of other Frame stands that will work tho'. May fing something on Ebay..
Old 09-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Dont know if you have scoured a few junkyards yet, but that would be the route I would take....With any luck, there would be a shell with the engine gone. I would think 65-72 would be pretty much the same.......I think

edit....just noticed you are in Sweeden.....Pickings might be slim......I think the Pontiacs over there are the same as here in Canada......Chevy frame and engines......might help a bit

Budget RVs
Old 09-25-2010, 04:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSedan64
Yes those are engine side. The list will give you an idea of other Frame stands that will work tho'. May fing something on Ebay..
Oh, okay. I belive a stand from anything else then a B-body will not fit the frame at all though. Not the same height and different bolt pattern. And older impalas seem to have a four bolt pattern.
Strange thing is that I've been searching ebay for months without any luck.

Thanks/Jesper
Old 09-25-2010, 04:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Dont know if you have scoured a few junkyards yet, but that would be the route I would take....With any luck, there would be a shell with the engine gone. I would think 65-72 would be pretty much the same.......I think

edit....just noticed you are in Sweeden.....Pickings might be slim......I think the Pontiacs over there are the same as here in Canada......Chevy frame and engines......might help a bit
Yes, as you said pickings here are slim, also on Pontiacs. Maybe I try contact some junkyards in the states and see if I have any luck.

Then again It would be an easy part fabricate by your self, if you had some measurements to go on..

Thanks/Jesper
Old 09-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefferzon
Hello.
As I am swapping my L6 engine for a SB V8 I'm in need of engine frame mounts for the V8. They seem nowhere to be found and I plan to build me a pair of mounts myself. But I don't have a clue what they should look like since I have no V8 car to look at and can't find any pictures of them. I don't even know how many or witch of the six holes (on each side) in the k-member to use for a sbc installation.

I know it's hard to try and explain this, but give it try if you know something about this (i.e. height and some kind of measurment from a fastener bolt to connecting bolt hole). A picture of a 65-66 full size chevy engine frame mount for V8 could also be very helpfull, especially if its in car.

Of course I'm also interested if anybody know where to buy these mounts.

Thanks/Jesper
Hello Jesper, I feel for you, having to collect American parts in Sweden. It must be very difficult. Whenever I'm adapting one thing to another thing, I bolt on the stuff that I know I will need and then build whatever conglomeration of steel onto that to make it work. In other words, I might bolt on the rubber motor mounts to the block, bolt a round steel tube to the rubber motor mount, then use whatever steel sheet or plate I had to to in order to reach from the steel tube to the frame of the car, once I had the frame level and the motor positioned in the engine bay and chocked up so it couldn't move, then cutting out pieces and fitting them in to tack weld them a little at a time until the piece was built. Then I would pull the motor out to finish welding up the stands. Here is an example of a stand from Speedway Motors that might look something like I would have constructed when I got through.....I've done it that way on many, many oddball engine swaps....Not that yours is an oddball, just that you can't have parts overnighted to you like we can in this country, so you may have to build your own....
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Univer...unts,1905.html
Here are the rubber mounts that bolt to the block.....
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Small-...unts,7959.html
Old 09-25-2010, 06:47 PM

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Wiki Edits: 1

Engine mounts (home maded)

In my 40 chevy sedan with a 350 350 th trans., I installed the transisson then set the trans. on it and leveled the carb, left to right and front to back and fabricated to fit. first I checked the drive shaft and found one that would fit, I had to move the engine forward about 1/4 inch to make the drive shaft fit with the same clearance that my pickup with a 2 piece shaft had. It worked great.
P.S. I used an electric fan which set close to the rad, and sucked air through with plenty of room for the water pump. Might have used the short water pump, I not sure. lol
Old 09-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

I know where there are a few sets of these---v8
But, I cannot get to them 'til probably after T-giving.

Been doing a bit of 'road warrioring' and I think I will be
out all of October and some of November.

I might be able to buy them and get them to you
Old 09-25-2010, 09:34 PM
More for Less Racer

Have you tried directly calling some of the restoration company's like Year One, Impala Bobs, etc?? Some of them have used parts sources or their own used parts yards, stuff that isn't listed in their new parts catalogs or in their online site.

I know J & W Nova Parts is this way, they have their own salvage yard just for Nova parts, catalog just mentions it in the back and to call with your needs.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:46 PM

Last photo:

Thanks everyone for your help. I will try e-mailing some restoration companies and wreckers and see if can find anything. And if there no luck I build me a pair of brackets.

Thanks/Jesper

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.