Hot Rod Forum banner

1966 Chev PU upgrade to dual master cylinder for existing brakes

9K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ss crazy 
#1 ·
I have read the posts regarding installing a 1973- 79 clip in a 66 chev, but I am looking just to upgrade the existing Master Cylinder to a dual system - in preparation for future disc brake conversion. I was hoping to retain the stock pedal location and possibly location of the Master Cylinder. Modest to nonexistant budget is a consideration. Has anyone done this before and have any ideas what would fit?
Thanks in advance for your help

#5 ·
Replaced my single reservoy 64 to duel by taking the old master cylinder to the parts store and matching up the mounting holes. Found a 68 Impala was just fine, cost like $18 but if you intend to go disc on the front, don't know how this would work after you change to front disc. Disc drum mastery clinder at Murrys was $35. Again you will have to match up the mounting holes. :cool:

#6 ·
I have a 1964 chevy c10 and I used a dual master cylinder from a 1968 chevy pick up. Which cost less than $20. But then I started experiencing problems with my back locking up before my front. So I had to buy an adjustable proportion valve to better control the pressure ratio!!

#7 ·
Thanks to all that have posted - I am learning a lot about this. Unfortunately the wreckers around here don't seem to have much of the older stuff in their yards anymore, so I am having trouble finding anything. Probably have to go with a rebuilt unit from a later vehicle. Just want to check something first. It is my understanding that the master cylinders are all pretty much the same in the way they function and the proportioning valve is what does the work to control pressure distribution to avoid lock up. Will switching proportioning valves when I go to discs be a problem?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.