1966 Coronet PROBLEM - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 07:22 PM
jeff mc

Last journal entry: 1941 Dodge Custom
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1966 Coronet PROBLEM

Hello All
My 1966 coronet with a 273 dose not want to start .Was running fine then nothing. I checked the points ,(only because the last time I tuned it up I didn't change them). I found I'm not getting any spark while the engine is cranking but when I let up on the key I get a spark on the last rpm .Not enough to start. Any Ideas of whats going on?

Thanks
Jeff

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 11:52 PM

Last photo:

Not sure if Dodge used a resistor in the coil wiring but it could be an open circuit to the coil in the crank position. Try running a wire directly from the battery to the + side of the coil and see if it starts. Don't leave it on too long if it does start or you might burn points or coil.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Could also be the ignition switch. Not hot while cranking and hot in run is something I have seen before on a chrysler of that vintage.
the Dark blue wire is the ignition run power circuit from the Volt reg connector to the ignition ballast , and the brown wire on the other side of the ballast is the power from the ig switch in the start position. The brown is hooked to the ballast as a common point for the blue and brown to feed the coil.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATECH View Post
Could also be the ignition switch. Not hot while cranking and hot in run is something I have seen before on a chrysler of that vintage.
the Dark blue wire is the ignition run power circuit from the Volt reg connector to the ignition ballast , and the brown wire on the other side of the ballast is the power from the ig switch in the start position. The brown is hooked to the ballast as a common point for the blue and brown to feed the coil.
Most defenately check the ballast resistor. Very common problem on the MOPARs of that era.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

If the ballast is bad, the car will have spark during cranking but not when key is in the run position, that is what leads me to think the switch is the trouble.
He said he has no spark in crank, coil is hot in run position but not while cranking. maybe I misunderstood him. Its happened before

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.