1966 fury stalling - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2002, 07:55 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 1966 fury stalling

No, it's not a hot rod, but hot rodders know more about fine tuning cars than most people...

I've got a 1966 fury with a 318 wide body. Carb is a 2 barrel bendix. The problem is stalling after a corner or when coming to a stop. When the car dies, it is VERY difficult to restart.

When something finally happens, I have my foot to the floor and the engine b a r e l y fires... it sounds like it is dieseling slightly as it "idles" at a barely running speed. Then all of a sudden - VROOM!! it takes off and sounds fine. I had to leave some wet patches in the rain the other night in order to not stall out ( 4th try...)

Help!

Bruce Westfall
bruce@frognet.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2002, 08:29 AM

I don't know the answer, but will suggest some ideas.

I would look for a disconnected vacuum line first. A disconnected line will effect your timing as well as lean out the fuel mixture.

I would also think you should check for other vacuum leaks. You can spray WD40 around the carb base etc. to check for leaks while the engine is running. Any change in rpm suggests a leak. Maybe your carb is not bolted down well etc.

Since it seems to be related to motion I am thinking that you should check the float bowl fluid level if no vacuum leak is found. It may not be getting gas due to a sticking float or one that is out of adjustment...I think it sounds more like sticking somehow.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:57 AM

My opinion is your float level is set to high or could be sticking but you said on stops and cornering leaves me to beleive float level,may need new float and rebuild kit,probably around $20 bucks or so.good luck(wrenchturner)
Old 06-06-2002, 11:01 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Arrow

I would say that it is definitely the carburetor and at that age requires a rebuild. However, have you checked the choke blade, linkage (sticking-binding closed) and choke pulloff?
Old 06-06-2002, 05:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I would change the fuel pump and then check the fuel level in the carb.
Old 06-07-2002, 04:30 PM

4 Jaw Chuck is right, fuel pump may not have enough pressure. I had the same problem. But before you change the pump, have you checked the filter. You didn't mention what kind of filter you have or even if you have one. I had the same problem; at idle, the car would want to die and I had to get it up to 2000 rpm to keep it running. If you have a pressure gauge that you can put inline, that would help. Don't know what kind of pressure you carb calls for, but I would guess anywhere between 5 and 7 psi. If your pump isn't putting this out, than you might have a pump problem. If it does have enough pressure, you probably have a clog or restriction of some kind. Even the smallest particles can cause problems for that needle valve inside the fuel bowl. Your carb may have a filter built into the inlet, check that too. If you don't have clogs or pressure is adequate, you might have a vacuum leak or your float level is off.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.