1966 Impala TRANSMISSION problem. What did i do wrong? HELP ME!! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2003, 06:22 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

besides getting a turbo 350 is there anything else i need to get?

different torq converter?
different linkage or adapter?
different dip stick?
let me know

thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2003, 01:39 PM

trans swap

if you do decide to swap in a TH350, youll definetly have to get a different converter, as they are 2 different transmissions... the corssmember may be able to be modified to work with the new trans but the shift linkage will have to be changed also.... for what youll have in the swap, might as well get the glide fixed and get some steep gears... if thats not an option, then a core tranny TH350 shouldnt cost much.... but make sure its in good shape inside to handle your new found power.... what im wondering is how you got the converter lined up whit the shaft and get it installed??? had to have taken alot of time... also, im not sure that the p glide and 350 are the same length, so driveshaft issues could come up... make sure you look into all of this b4 deciding...
Old 10-16-2003, 06:27 AM

even though the 350 has a lot more power, my car is a lowrider which i only take to shows. i never drive it faster than 40mph so i dont think i'm going to get a th350 tranny atm. im going to fix or replace my current transmission. One thing that i was confused is whether i have to replace my torq converter or not? you all said that my pump is what broke..i read somewhere that the pump is inside the converter? i guess i'm not 100% sure and i would like to know exactly what needs to get replaced prior to screwing up again

thanks again for everyone's help
Old 10-16-2003, 09:16 AM

Last photo:

If you change to TH350, you need a different convertor and possibly a flexplate. I would think that in forcing things together the way you did, the internals of the convertor might be damaged.

If you're calling around looking for a TH350, make sure you get the one that matches your 'Glide. The TH350 comes in both a long tailshaft and short tailshaft version, and I think the 'Glide only came in one length that matches up with the short tail 350. Dpending on where you are and who you know, you can get a rebuilt TH350 with a shift kit for $300 or so. It is a huge improvement over the glide.

Okay, I posted before I saw you want to stay with the Glide. The damaged pump is in the transmission, here's a website with pictures to maybe help a little. http://www.eastcoasttransmissions.com/ect/hardparts.htm

Okay, I posted before I saw you want to stay with the Glide. The damaged pump is in the transmission, here's a website with pictures to maybe help a little. http://www.eastcoasttransmissions.com/ect/hardparts.htm

Last edited by EricTopless68 Camaro; 10-16-2003 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Cool

I will point out the T-350 comes in 3 different lengths of 2 wheel drive configuration.

The aluminum power glide was produced in different lengths and different spline count on the output shaft.

I would suggest you find a tranny guy to help with your repairs. A neighbor that changes oil at a quicky lube place does not qualify here.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:40 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Cool

BTTT

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.