1967 Buick sleeper Build - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2013, 07:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1967 Buick sleeper Build

hey guys, just want to share my project with you and hopefully get feedback as i go. i'm not new to classic cars and hotrodding but i'm also smart enough to know that others might have better ways of doing things. so all feedback whether positive or constructive criticism is welcome.

The car i am starting with is a 1967 Buick special deluxe, the special is a base model of the skylark but has fewer standard features and is usually lighter in weight. my car happens to be a 44,000 mile original with no rust ever and one repaint that was done about 20 years ago, it looks great from 5-8' away and runs and drives great with the original 300 2 barrel engine and variable pitch 2 speed transmission.

this is how the car looked when i picked it up from the original owner.

Advertisement

Last edited by SpeedyBuick; 04-28-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2013, 07:29 PM

Last photo:

I almost forgot... the man who bought the car new and who i bought the car from.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:40 PM

Last photo:

My original Build plans included keeping the car looking as stock as possible yet making as much power as possible. I had commisioned a Buick Engine Builder out of Minesota to build a stock appearing 455 engine but after 8 months of excuses and delays i gave up on him and started looking at other options. then i found a Buick 455 that had been professionally built to make big horsepower with a blower. the engine only had Dyno time on it and a few shakedown street miles before it was pulled to install a new TA Aluminum big block Buick engine. I bought the complete motor minus the centrifugal blower but with blowthru carb and ignition for less that the cost of the parts. so while the car will look stock on the outside and on the interior under the hood will be a different story.

engine power without supercharger and only 8.0 compression

Engine power with blower

Old 04-28-2013, 07:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Very NICE.
I read an article in Hotrod mag severl years ago.someone had a 67 buick like yours and wanted a cheap upgrade to make it perform.
They retrofitted it with a 2004r trans and the change was like night and day. The 4 gears forward with decent ratios made the car a blast to drive according to the author. The 2 speed is lothargic at best and is a slug off the line.
Of course I see you are going a bit more radical than just a trans.
WAY COOL.
Keep us posted.
What trans are you gonna run? are you going to upgrade the rear?
Old 04-28-2013, 08:05 PM

Last photo:

Love them old Skylarks. Had a few 65-70. But mine all had chevy big blocks under the hood You will have a real nice sleeper when done. Nobody expects to get their doors blown off by a Skylark.. Done that
Old 04-28-2013, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATECH View Post
Very NICE.
What trans are you gonna run? are you going to upgrade the rear?
Thanks,
I have a completely rebuilt variable pitch th400 and a 1700/3200 rpm stall converter to go with it. I am going to run an upgraded 8.5 ten bolt GM with a 30 spline detroit trutrac and 3.42 gears
Old 04-28-2013, 10:13 PM

Last photo:

I bought a sp400 transmission out of a wrecked 67 GS400 and had a local guru build it for me with a better valve body and a transgo -2 shift kit. added a 34 element intermediate sprag as well. the 1700 low stall of the torque converter will allow cruising without over heating the transmission and the 3200 rpm high stall will allow for maximum performance at the flip of a switch.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:35 PM

Last photo:

i picked up a set of stage 2 headers from TA performance and a complete mandrel bent exhaust system with H pipe crossover. trying to decide if i want to spend an extra 3-400 dollars having the headers ceramic coated or if i want to paint them with VHT header paint.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:16 AM
Die standin' up

Last journal entry: geezer69 nova 63
Last photo:

nice !
Old 04-29-2013, 09:27 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,118 Posts
What a nice car! I have had a 455 powered 71 Riv, oh yes that motor produces some power! I now have a 65 Gran Sport Skylark, love those Buicks!

Brian
Old 04-29-2013, 09:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyBuick View Post
My original Build plans included keeping the car looking as stock as possible yet making as much power as possible. I had commisioned a Buick Engine Builder out of Minesota to build a stock appearing 455 engine but after 8 months of excuses and delays i gave up on him and started looking at other options. then i found a Buick 455 that had been professionally built to make big horsepower with a blower. the engine only had Dyno time on it and a few shakedown street miles before it was pulled to install a new TA Aluminum big block Buick engine. I bought the complete motor minus the centrifugal blower but with blowthru carb and ignition for less that the cost of the parts. so while the car will look stock on the outside and on the interior under the hood will be a different story.

engine power without supercharger and only 8.0 compression

Engine power with blower

How do you use a blow thru carb on a na engine
Old 04-29-2013, 05:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fool View Post
How do you use a blow thru carb on a na engine
it works like a regular carb when not under boost, the first dyno sheet is with the blow thru carb and no boost and the second is with 16 psi, there is a lean issue that needs to be worked out at higher RPM's but not a big deal
Old 04-29-2013, 05:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
What a nice car! I have had a 455 powered 71 Riv, oh yes that motor produces some power! I now have a 65 Gran Sport Skylark, love those Buicks!

Brian
Thanks Brian,
I have owned a couple 65 Skylark gran Sports and love em. this will be my first supercharged Buick.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:34 PM

Last photo:

Sorrry it's been so long since I have updated here. several months ago I decided to pull the new motor apart just to inspect before installing in the car. I figured all it would set me back was a set of gaskets and at least I would have the peace of mind knowing that all was good inside. when I got the heads off I noticed some scuffing on the cylinder walls. not enough to catch your fingers on but enough to concern me. I pulled the rest of the engine down and when I got to the part I was dreading which is removing the balancer bolt I had a big surprise. that bolt is supposed to be torqued to 200 ft lbs minimum yet it took almost NO effort to remove it. when I got the balancer removed the woodruff key just fell out of the crank and the crank snout was destroyed. at that point I knew the engine wasn't useable in it's current condition and I completely disassembled it. I had another standard bore 455 block and standard crankshaft and am using the salvageable parts from the blower motor to build a mid 500 hp naturally aspirated engine.

here are a few pics as I disassembled the new engine. it's tough to see the damage on the crank snout but I had to use a puller to removed a slip on balancer and the threads inside were also damaged.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:43 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,118 Posts
You'll get it.

Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.