Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   1967 C10 Big block frame mounts (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/1967-c10-big-block-frame-mounts-212742.html)

Lifer 01-18-2012 10:20 AM

1967 C10 Big block frame mounts

Hey all,

I'm wanting to drop a big block in this Chevy pickup, What can you guys tell me as far as mounts are concerned.. Doesn't have to look pretty, I just want to get this thing mobile..

Straight 6 came out, we want to install a big block..

I do have a set of brackets from a mid 80s suburban sitting around.. maybe I can hack into those.. any ideas?

Or is there a company that has them for a decent price?

Lifer 01-18-2012 10:41 AM

I meant the "perches"

b00tz 01-18-2012 03:50 PM

i dont know if the 6 cylinder trucks are the same, or 60s trucks for that matter... but with chevy generally everything fits everything else lol

i run an 87 chevy 1500, i took out my old blown up 350 and dropped in a 427 big block tall deck out of a dump truck, thats how interchangable everything is. lol

have you checked to see if its a bolt in or not?

is the bellhousing the same? most generally is with chevy.

if it doesnt fit, bolt your motormount to the side of the block fully assembled, drop the engine in , bolt it to the tranny , get everything lined up and weld the mounts to the frame. can be done in a couple hours, piece of cake.

68NovaSS 01-18-2012 04:17 PM

Welcome :thumbup:

You might try TransDapt , they have a universal mount, call they might have what you need.

Here's a set specifically for your truck, but pricey.

Also, check this thread for more ideas.

chopperdave70 09-20-2014 09:31 PM

The problem isn't fitting the frame it's exhaust clearance

75gmck25 09-21-2014 07:10 AM

Wasn't the big block an option for the 1967 pickups? The big block may have been offered only in the C20/C30, but the frame and mounts should be identical in the engine area. The '80 Suburban mounts you have may be similar, but the frame on the 73-87 square body is much different than the 1967.

Take a look at lmctruck.com and see what they offer for motor mounts (http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=61 ). Any GM dealer should sell the same motor mounts, but may not have them in stock. Unless I'm misreading your question, fitting a big block in a 1967 pickup should only require off-the-shelf OEM parts.

Bruce

jtz55 09-21-2014 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 75gmck25 (Post 2634226)
Wasn't the big block an option for the 1967 pickups? The big block may have been offered only in the C20/C30, but the frame and mounts should be identical in the engine area. The '80 Suburban mounts you have may be similar, but the frame on the 73-87 square body is much different than the 1967.

Take a look at lmctruck.com and see what they offer for motor mounts (Truck Parts and Truck Accessories ). Any GM dealer should sell the same motor mounts, but may not have them in stock. Unless I'm misreading your question, fitting a big block in a 1967 pickup should only require off-the-shelf OEM parts.

Bruce

I would be curios to know also if a big block was available in a truck in 67.best I could find out it was still a few years away.maybe 70 454 or possibly a 402/396

1971BB427 09-21-2014 09:04 AM

Yes, a big block was offered in that generation Chevy truck. Not sure if the 396/402 was a factory offering that first year, but it was offered in that body style. I believe the six cyl. frame mounts may accept the V8 motor mounts, but if they don't, the 80's mounts should be an easy fit. I'm pretty sure you just move the frame mounts from the rear two holes, to the front two holes on the frame. Just use the 80's mounts, but in the forward two holes. Headers shouldn't be an issue at all, as there are tons of makers offering them for '67-'72 Chevy trucks with a BBC.

RWENUTS 09-21-2014 10:03 AM

Big blocks available in 68. THe towers (stands) and mounts are different than the sbc. BB needed room for manifolds.
Here's a link with good info.
Big Block Motor Mount Question...? - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

jtz55 09-21-2014 07:58 PM

Here's a thought wasn't the 348 cid chevy technically a big block.if so was it offered in a truck in the fifties.I think the motor made its debut in 58.

1971BB427 09-22-2014 09:59 AM

I've swapped big blocks into trucks with small blocks and not had an issue with the frame mounts. In the SBC to BBC swap, I just got the taller motor mounts, and everything fit perfectly.

gearheadslife 09-22-2014 11:16 AM

The 67-72 bbc frame stands are costly, I bought a set of g.m. ones in 2002-3 when year one had them.. year one still has at least one side..
many stuff the bbc on the small block stands.. but I'm sure that causes issues with header fitment and engine angles and such..
The 73-87 engine cross member and front set up is a bolt in on the 67-72 and many do that for disc brakes, and tho not a needed swap in this o/p question.. I'm willing to bet the 73-87 bbc frame mounts/stands are a bolt in also.. can't see how they'd not.. other than them being set up for the clamshell type motormount , instead of earlier type mount .
I have both, and haven't looked at both side by side to see if there is any differences ,other than where the holes are drilled for the moutormount(rubber) ..

IIRC the straight 6 mount/stand puts small blocks tight against the firewall, and a bbc would only be worse..

Won't be near the parts to look and see what is different between the 67-72 bbc truck frame stands and the 73-87 (these are 86) ones.. for a few days, doctor appointments/etc will kill any chance of that..

1971BB427 09-22-2014 11:22 AM

The measurement from bellhousing surface to motor mount is exactly the same between SBC and BBC. The engine wont be farther back in a BBC vs. a SBC, just more engine forward from the motor mounts on a BBC. Chevy made the distances the same, so as to not require the trans to be moved back, or a different firewall when using either engine in the same vehicle.

gearheadslife 09-22-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971BB427 (Post 2637090)
The measurement from bellhousing surface to motor mount is exactly the same between SBC and BBC. The engine wont be farther back in a BBC vs. a SBC, just more engine forward from the motor mounts on a BBC. Chevy made the distances the same, so as to not require the trans to be moved back, or a different firewall when using either engine in the same vehicle.

bet the height is different, stand bolt spots and mounting lugs on block sides, and deck height.. engine higher will tilled the distributor into the firewall, and cause brake booster to valve cover issues and a/c box..(taller than stock v/c's)

g.m. would not make different part # frame stands if they didn't need to.. The rule of the bean counters..

1971BB427 09-22-2014 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearheadslife (Post 2637226)
bet the height is different, stand bolt spots and mounting lugs on block sides, and deck height.. engine higher will tilled the distributor into the firewall, and cause brake booster to valve cover issues and a/c box..(taller than stock v/c's)

g.m. would not make different part # frame stands if they didn't need to.. The rule of the bean counters..

Don't bet money on GM not making different frame stands! Suprprisingly you'd think they wouldn't, but they did.
Depends on what you mean by "height". Yes, the BBC is a taller block, but I've never had an issue with bolting them right up to SBC frame and motor mounts. Might be a hood clearance issue when swapping SBC to BBC, as the block deck is definitely taller, and that's why Chevy used a low rise intake on BBC powered cars, to get hood clearance.
Going the other route from a BBC vehicle to a SBC, it works the same. The key is the frame and motor mounts need to be matched. Chevy used different frame pads, and motor mounts, so if you swap either direction, you need to use both frame and motor mounts from the same. A BBC motor mount bolts right on a SBC engine, but one mount is taller than the other, as are the frame pads the reverse. Can't mix them, but you certainly can use either on either engine, as long as the motor and frame mounts are kept together.

Camaros with BBC used a different heater box, and outlets were not on the engine side, but rather turned 180 degrees towards the pass. side fender. Power brake boosters were also an issue, so that was why they used a different frame and motor mount combo, to allow the valve cover clearance for removal. They even had a valve cover with a beveled rear to help clear for removal.
With all the factory did, you could still drop a BBC right into a SBC powered Camaro, by just re-using the SBC frame and motor mounts. (done dozens of them) They clear all the things GM made clearances for, and the only time there's an issue is if you use tall valve covers. Then the heater core outlets interfere, and the brake booster hits. Even the aftermarket BBC in Camaro headers bolt up, and clear everything.
This is a 427 in a 2nd gen Camaro, using SBC frame and motor mounts, with Doug Thorley headers. Had to grind the fins off the pass. side valve cover at the rear, to clear the heater hose outlets.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...inguy/eng1.jpg