Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1967 C10 Chevy Pickup
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karcrazy View Post
Got it. Keep the great tips comin! I thought some more over the weekend about this and originally I was going to put a little bit bigger cam in the Mopar but then again, not really looking to go totally nuts. So, in everybody's opinion, would there be a need for a super coil electronic ignition or just go with a straight conversion over from points to electronic? That may have sounded really contradictory but I dont have alot of experience with converting over from points. I remember a really simple kit that you could buy back in the 80's that you installed in place of the point setup inside the distributor.
Also, I plan on getting an aluminum intake for it also. With a stock cam, what kind of aluminum 4 barrel intake and what size carburator would you guys suggest?
Here's what you're thinking about.....
Ignitor
I wouldn't change the camshaft until I knew for sure what the actual static compression ratio of the motor is. I know fellows have changed cams in motors for decades without knowing anything about the inside of their motor, but that doesn't mean they did it right!!!!!

Static compression ratio should be matched to the intake closing point of the camshaft in order to generate the proper cylinder pressure for the fuel you're using. It's called Dynamic Compression Ratio and if you're going to maximize your cam change, you need to figure it all out first.

As far as an intake manifold, with a stock cam I'd retain the stock intake manifold, unless you just want to lighten your wallet and take a few pounds off the front of the truck. AGAIN, the Chrysler engineers figured the exact size and length of the intake runners on the stock piece to provide the best overall performance. Until you tear into the motor and change everything, I would leave the stock piece on there. A 600/650 carb will be all you need.