1967 Camaro wiring - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2004, 11:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1967 Camaro wiring

I just bought a 1967 Camaro that is not running but the body is great. The previous owner says he just put the engine in but didn't finish the wiring. My problem is I'm getting no power inside the car. I have the + battery cable going to the starter, the yellow and purple wires going to thier respective terminals on the starter and the battery is obviously grounded to the block. With this in mind the only thing that could logically get 12v is the starter. It's been a long time since I did this stuff so i'm kinda rusty. SHould there not be a smaller wire running from the positive terminal somewhere else to power the inside through the harness? Any ideas would be appreciated. Does anyone know where I can download a wiring schematic online? Thanks tons.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2004, 11:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Wires.......

[color=lightblue]Doc here:

67 Cam huh? ... Jeeze...humm gotta clear the Cobwebs here....

Should Be a Smaller red wire (like 10 Ga or so ) Coming off the 12 Volt Cable (the Big one) At the Starter. That should be the Main power line in. Could also be located at the Battery, but for some reason I seem to remember it to be at the Starter Solenoid main bolt Terminal.

Is this (I hope, stock wiring ?) If so, that wire Should be found with the Starter Harness somewhere. If it's somebody's impression of how Electrons should flow. Well, your guess is as good as your ability to troubleshoot.

If your just grounded to the engine, you may want to think about a Cable from the block to the frame, while lot's of metallic stuff goes in and out of the engine to the frame, The Block still sits on rubber mounts... So the best Transfer of power is through a cable.

Also Are the Fusible links still there?

For the Schematics, Call your local library Reference room and ask for them, usually they have the Factory Manuals For most cars... Bring lots ~O~ Change fur the copier though...

Doc

[/color]
Old 07-01-2004, 12:08 AM

It is the stock wiring although there are only 2 wires in the harness to the starter. I was thinking the wire should go to the alternator or voltage regulator. The fusible links that I can find test good. Also I do have 2 braided cables going between the block and the body but a cable between the block and frame is a good idea.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:10 AM
Go big or go home

Last photo:

The car should be powered from the starter possibly the fusible link is gone there will be one inline from the starter to the fuse box. I think ihave a service manual for 68 in the shop ill look and see if i still have it and scan in the schematic

Mike
Old 07-01-2004, 01:20 PM

Last photo:

Smile Interior Power

With the stock wiring on my 67, the power comes from the 12v+ terminal on the battery and the red cable is split to a 10 guage and a bigger guage wire. The smaller 10 guage red wire connects to the main wiring harness behind the passenger side headlight and the main + wire to the starter. You also have a (?) green wire from the starter silinoid to the coil. Keep in mind this is a reverse ground system so the 12v of + power will goto the - negative side on the coil. You can almost see it in this pic: http://hotrodders.com/gallery/data/5...ro327.jpg?4879
Old 07-01-2004, 01:30 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Yep, the battery "+" cable should have a pig tail that connects to a junction block behind the battery on the core support.

Also there is a large (10g) wire that goes on the top(battery terminal) on the solenoid.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod
Old 07-01-2004, 03:47 PM

I dont have a junction block on the core support that i can see. Where does that junction block tap into the rest of the electrical system?
Old 07-01-2004, 03:54 PM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

Maybe this will help ... note the Power Feed to Fuse Block wire ... that'll get your interior powered up, and the rest shows how to properly wire the engine area:

PS - You should ground to your frame and firewall, as well as the engine block.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 07-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Wiring

[color=lightblue]Doc here:

Looked through my General Mystery Books last night, which only Go back as far as 1969, It would seem that throughout the years they couldn't make up their mind as to which color wire, and where to place it!

One Shows, That if you have a GENERATOR (<--- What the heck is that??) Then the main lead will be a Black lead Coming from the Battery to the horn relay and 3 terminal regulator, then on to the Ignition switch Ect....

If you Have an Alternator, It will be a red 10 gauge coming from the main terminal bolt at the starter, through a fusible link, Then up to the Ignition Switch. This one seems to be the one used the most.

I would say, If you Can't locate this wire, Get a 10 Gauge Red Wire long enough to reach the switch, Install a fusible link on it, and run it to the switch. That will get power on Switched.

You didn't say if the Lights, or items that are normally on when the key is off are working or not, I assume they are not.

The Easiest thing to do is go to where you found those fusible links and trace them back to where they Go. You Should Find them not hooked up somewhere close to the starter or Battery.

To Test Them, Carefully Hook up a jumper wire from the Positive side of the Battery, and Jumper them to the Fusible links one at a time. See what comes on. If everything comes on as it should, then you need to find the open end of that wire.

If you can't locate it, you could just make jumpers from the links to the battery (be sure your on the correct side of the links, or they will be useless for protection) and hook them to the Starter Bolt main terminal, or directly to the Battery. That Should get you up and running.

If you feel like it, look at the wire harnesses Near the Starter, and near the battery, Remove the tape if necessary, you should find a Red or Black Wire unhooked. It will be 10 gauge.

I Actually went out and looked at the one on my Vette, and in fact does go to the Battery, Is 10 Gauge and BLACK (so much for universal Color Code). And goes to a single pole terminal behind the Battery. This should be the missing wire.

Doc
[/color]
Old 07-01-2004, 06:12 PM

Thanks to all of you. I will take another look tonight when I get home from work.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

PS - The full explanation behind that schematic, above, is Here

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 07-01-2004, 09:49 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

That wiring diagram is nothing like a camaro.

The + goes to the junction block then to the horn relay, and is distributed from there to the switch and accessories.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod
Old 07-01-2004, 11:59 PM

Last photo:

I know ... the wiring I'm showing is custom ... not original ... but the best way to do any vehicle, if you're into customizing or improving things.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.