Hot Rod Forum banner

1967 Chevy Truck Gear Ratio

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  M&M CUSTOM 
#1 ·
I have a 1967 3/4 ton Chevy Truck with 4.56 gears. The truck has a 350 crate motor, and a rebuilt 350 turbo trans and 285 tires. I kept the original rear end in the truck but figured the gears would be too high since it had a manual before. I would like to swap in a different rear end rather then spending to swap gears. I would assume all rears up to 94 should work but would just be a little wider. I don't mind cutting off the old brackets and welding the new ones on. What years should I be looking at for 3 to 3.50 (3.08, 3.21, etc) gears in a 3/4 ton truck. The goal is to go down the interstate at 75 mph and not be over 2500 rpm. I found a 67 3/4 ton with an automatic at a junk yard but havn't checked the ratio yet. Also how much wider are the newer rears. Any help would be great. Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
H'mmmm

It is a lot of work to swap out a rear end and I believe it would be cheaper and better to just put in new gears in the one you have..

Most of the rear end swaps are done when upgrading an older car to a new rear to handle high horsepower..The rear you now have is fine and it is not a cheap or EZ deal to do a rear end swap..

Just my 2 cents..:)

OMT

PS check in the knowledge base as there are some gear calculators to help youopick the correct gears for your app...:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.