1967 Ford LTD engine type - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Junkyard Dog

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1967 Ford LTD engine type

Hey guys, a dude just called me up today asking if I wanted to buy a 1967 Ford LTD from him, from what I remember, I think they have the vaunted 390 from the presmog days, is there any chance they put another engine in the LTD or is it the 390 or 427? I mean 300 HP from the factory sounds good to me.

the car is in Fresno which is 4 hours from here so I have to be sure before I make the trip. I'm putting it in my 67 Cougar, It's not an "S" code but I think I can make a GT-E clone since they're from the same year

Any Ford guys here

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Before you even pull out of the drive way get casting numbers or any kind of engine ID before you even bother. Since the car is the age it is the engine could have been swapped a long time ago and a 302 dropped in it`s place or the like. Always do your home work and know what your buying before you make a trip and hand over any cash. If the seller is honest he won`t have any problems giving you the info and when you arrive to look at the car verify what he`s told you. Here`s a site that will tell you all you need to know on the engine options in 1968. I`m not a Ford guy, but I don`t have to be since the internet`s search engines will tell you everything you need to know.
http://www.ehow.com/list_7649407_mec...-ford-ltd.html
Old 12-01-2011, 08:14 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

There basically a Galaxie and yes, were offered with 390 FE's, but not the high power models. I think they were also offered with 289's.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

I believe some of those even came with the 427 (can you say "SLEEPER"?)

I know that engine was available in the 66 big cars
Old 12-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Junkyard Dog

Last photo:

I'm hoping thats its an old grand fathers car, or a old lady who finally stepped into the 21st century. This is usually a good sign when it comes to engine type. According to some sites I've looked up, the 1967 Model year came with 390 (270 HP) and 427's (400HP)

I'll get the VIN number from him and ask if anything has been done to the car to his knowledge
Old 12-01-2011, 10:07 PM

Last photo:

Most of the 67 LTD's came common with the 390 2V which is a two barrel 390 cu in engine. They also had the option of a 428 but those are rare and most likely hard to find. Later in the 70's Ford decided to put the 460 in and the Lincolns had the same. Basically your 390 but got worse mileage. I would recommend what DoubleVision said and pull the engine numbers. You can also check the door tag on the car and if the engine code says, "K" it came with the 390 2V engine. That way you'll be sure what the engine truly is.
As far as the cougar goes. In 1967, they came with two options. The basic cougar had the 302 engine and the GT version a big block 390 under the hood. The 302 small block version had a smaller engine compartment (same as the Mustangs) due to the shock towers. The big block version or GT Cougar had a larger compartment to accommodate the big 390 engine. If your putting that boat anchor 390 engine (that's we called them) into a small block vehicle, it'll take some work. The other thing is the 390 came with a C6 transmission and a 9 inch Ford rearend. The 302 had a C4 transmission and 8 inch rearend. If your running the 8 in. with a big block, don't count on doing burnout too long, the 8 inch rearends didn't hold up to alot of torque.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:06 AM
Junkyard Dog

Last photo:

Well I Intended to remove the shock towers with mustang II suspension anyways so that wasn't too much of a concern, I purchase the plans for that build a few months ago. Just saving to buy my own TIG welder instead of using the school rig.

He sent me the numbers last night and it turns out to be a 390 2 barrel. I planned on buying a Weiand single plane 4 barrel intake and plop a 800 Holley on top and some headers and call it a day.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:27 AM

Last photo:

If you're going to take the intake off of it, you're only a few bolts away from sticking a nice solid lifter cam in it. Maybe a Comp Cams 270, or if a four speed manual, even a 282S:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMP-FORD-FE...06265819712103
Old 12-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Junkyard Dog

Last photo:

oh now were talking....this engine may be heavy, but the power output is ridiculous with just a few upgrades. I already have a 9 inch from a 65 Thunderbird under my car too. What trans can I use for a 390 other than a C6? Would love to have that overdrive option.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:35 AM

Last photo:

C4 or an AOD should be possible; or a 2.64 1st T10 would be **** (you can run a 3.31 rear and still have good off the line performance).
Old 12-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Junkyard Dog

Last photo:

Do you think they have the same bolt pattern? I'm trying to make a smart purchase here and all the info I can collect upfront would be best. I know that 390 upgrades are more expensive but the bragging rights make it all worth it!
Old 12-02-2011, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

The only things I know about fords are they had a great axle design; 289 FIA cobras are killer cars and that ford bodies look great wrapped around chevy engines. I know there are Ford pattern T10s in the world. I also know that there have been conversions done to mount one of our Muncies behind a Ford (toploaders can be spendy and quality parts are hard to find). As far as a C4 vs a C6; Im not sure if the FE block is different. Almost no one uses a performance C6 anymore, you can just about make a C4 bulletproof. That c ar would be a killer GT-style car with a clutch...just sayin LOL
Old 12-02-2011, 04:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear
C4 or an AOD should be possible; or a 2.64 1st T10 would be **** (you can run a 3.31 rear and still have good off the line performance).
Not sure where Autogear is getting his info... but there is no way a C4 will connect to the 390. Furthermore, the C6 is a strong transmission and will run circles around the C4 all day long. As far as an overdrive, you would have to find one from a newer model vehicle such as a Lincoln, etc. that came with a big block. Even then, the bellhousing would have to be modified. You can run a toploader 4 speed but again it requires the bellhousing for a big block. You cannot put a small block bellhousing on a bigblock Ford. Since your buying the motor, I'd try and get the transmission with it. You already have the 9inch rear end. You'll be almost there. Fords run hard, but they need to breath. Intake, and headers and they'll come alive. If the 390 is stock and still has the 2 barrel heads on it, my guess is the 800 cfm Holley might be a bit too big. A 650 DP or 720 carb would be a better choice.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:08 AM

Last photo:

I stand corrected. I could have sworn my best friend had a canadian sourced bellhousing from some heavier duty truck application that used a small FE motor; bur it was a 'JPT' bellhosing whatever that is. Sorry for the wild goose chase.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:37 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

cougar engine compartments

I Was at Ford when we built 67 cougars and I don't remember any differences in the engine compartment. The only differences in specifications for different engines in those years was more welds added and the Mustang Hi performance engines used thicker outer rocker panels speced for convertibles. I remember big blocks exhaust manifolds scratching the paint off the firewall when they dropped the engine in.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.