Hot Rod Forum banner

1967 Mustang braking and suspension upgrade questions

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  GypsyR 
#1 ·
I am new to building muscle cars and I need some help. I have a 1967 Mustang that came equipped with the straight 6(VIN T) orginally. When I bought the car, the 289 upgrade had already been done. However, the previous owner didn't upgrade the braking and suspension on the car. Stopping is sometimes scary! I started looking around for upgrades. I have been told that I must completely change the front suspension and must atleast upgrade to an 8" rear-end. I am looking for some advice on an economical way to do this. Can anyone help me with what to look for and at what price? All help is appreciated!!

#2 ·
Welcome to Hotrodders.com

I edited the thread title. We dont use "HELP" as a thread title here. Please place proper subject matter in the thread titles so the membership has an idea of your problem.

Moving to suspension - brake forum

#4 ·
Luckily, there are a ton of options for the early Mustangs. From upgrading your stock front end to complete replacement suspensions. If you're on a budget and need the car to be drivable then modifying the stock front end in stages is you best bet. If you can be without it and can drop a little extra money(at one time) then complete replacement is a good option. Just keep in mind that doing it in stages can end up being more expensive than the one shot deal.

The vintage-mustang.com website is a great resource.

#5 ·
Slow4dr has it right on.... unfortunately being that the front subframe is essentially thin sheet metal and usually on cars these days that havnt been redone they are also usually rotted out.

The front geometry and strength on the 64-70 leaves alot to be desired by todays standards. that is why you find more complete subframe conversions that you will simple bolt on upgrades. With the simple cheap upgrades, you can get the car to have better manors however you cant cure the nuances of Ford's original design. That takes a crossmember, subframe or if your want to go all out a complete chassis replacement.

#6 ·
If I may suggest, have a look around at some vintage Mustang specific forums for what other folks are doing. Upgrading plain six cylinder cars to "V8 status" is very popular and there are a number of different approachs. I could list them but there's ever so many already out there already written up for you. Doing that greatly helped me decide what and how to upgrade my '67's brakes and chassis. This is a great forum for many things but not so oriented towards Mustangs in particular. Just as there's lots of neat stuff to learn here that you will not see in a Mustang forum as it just isn't relevant to them. Chevy and Dodge stuff for instance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.