1967 Nova leaf springs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2006, 08:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1967 Nova leaf springs

I just bought some multi leaf replacements for my Nova which was a Mono setup, I bought them from JC Whitney just because they were the only ones that have a multi replacement that bolts right to the stock perchs. Has anybody used these before and will it increase the ride height. I have not installed them yet.How you you go about dropping a 1967 Chevy Nova Rear. Lowering Blocks? My car has a 396 BB.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2006, 03:08 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

They will probably raise the car a little, as the monos have most likely sagged. If you are looking to lower the car, I wouldn't suggest lowering blocks...with a big block engine anyways.

BTW, is the front end stock with that big block installed?

I would like to see this car....got any pics you can post?
Old 12-26-2006, 03:48 PM

Last photo:

Leaf springs

I'm installing the rear end as we speak(12 bolt posi 3.73) I'm just worried about all that torque and lowering blocks. You think they would handle 550 HP.The front has after market springs that are way to stiff and make it sit up about 3" to high. I just went through the drive train suspension next. Tell me how to post pics and I will.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:03 PM

Last photo:

Yeah, I was concerned with the torque too.

Just click on Photo Gallery at the top of the page....and follow the instructions. You will get the hang of it.

Wanted to see pics, as its pretty tough to get a big block in those early Novas. Between those shock towers
Old 12-26-2006, 04:29 PM

Last photo:

Lowering Blocks

Did you use lowering blocks and on what with what engine. I posted a few pics let me know if you see them.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:54 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Mono-leaves without traction bars are wheel hopping monsters. Even worse with lowering blocks. GM put multi-leaves in hipo cars.

JCW killed me. Wrong springs, made in Mexico, 23 phone calls. Finally got my money back 9 weeks later, they refused to refund shipping so I lost $ 40 for my 2 way shipping.

I wouldn't buy from JCW if they were the only place in the world.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:05 PM

Last photo:

Jcw

I agree about JCW but the leafs I got were made in Texas and fit perfect. I still might have to use lowering blocks. I'll know when its done.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:10 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

xntrik, everyone makes mistakes, and all stores sell some junk now. JCW is nothing but a mail order AutoZone -- some junk, some good stuff. There's usually no way to tell what you're getting unless they advertise the brand name. They do like everyone else does -- shop around for the best price supplier that supplies ADEQUATE (for most people) quality. I agree that they shouldn't have give you such a hassle about returning the product if it's not correct and they took to long to send you a refund. I've had good luck with them, but I've never ordered springs from them or any real large items either.

For leaf springs, go to http://www.eatonsprings.com/. They're the manufacturer, no middle man! There's a neat set of photos showing the manufacturing process on their site. Eaton-Detroit makes coil springs too, but I prefer http://www.coilspings.com for coils. That's ALL they make! I've had really good results and service from them making custom coil springs to my specs. They no longer make single rate springs for cars (they probably would if you insisted), but calculate a modern variable rate replacement for the originals. This provides a much better ride and superior handling, I can attest to that! I ordered springs with a 15% stiffer rate than stock for a little Rambler I drove hard years ago. It road only slightly stiffer (less than expected) and handled like a dream! The suspension would "stiffen up" as it started compressing, that's the variable rate. With light loads there was little difference, but start compressing (heavy load or body roll) and it "stiffened up" to counteract the forces.

I wouldn't worry about a short lowering block, maybe 1.5" or less. I definitely would't go with anything taller unless you plan on installing a traction control link on TOP of the axle. That would prevent the lowering blocks from leveraging the leaf spring. Go up a size on the u-bolts if you go over 1.5" also.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:21 AM

Last photo:

http://www.coilspings.com/

Would that be http://www.coilsprings.com ? There r a difference...
Old 12-28-2006, 01:02 PM

Last photo:

JCW deals in many poor quality products. All I was doing is relating my experience with their horrible customer service department just as others have done on this site about other suppliers and products.
You must have a vested interest in JCW to be defending them so adamantly.

Over-ride traction bars still maintain the leaf spring in compression, which might not eliminate wheel hop, and they don't plant the tires well for solid launches. Look at the 65 Shelby's override and the 66 and later underride "Traction Masters". No tire planting.

I suggest looking at CalTrac bars or Slide A Link. If you can stand the appearance and reduced ground clearance. If not, custom multi-leaf springs designed to eliminate axle wind up are the stealth thing to use. I hand built a set that work excellently.

Eaton was almost $ 600 for a pair of stock multi leaves for my common Ford car.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:49 AM

Last photo:

Jcw

Well I got done yesterday installing those leafs.When I dropped my car it didn't drop much it looks like a 4x4. So off they come any other suggestions besides Eaton Springs. I want Multi's with a 1 to 2 inch drop. Those JCW springs bolted right up but have to much of an arch (JUNK) there going right back.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:02 AM

Last photo:

Other than lowering blocks, which I dont like.........The only other way to do it with leaf springs, is to have less arc...or to move the spring perches up into the body or shorten the shackles.........
Old 12-29-2006, 11:05 AM

Last photo:

Leaf Springs

I'm trying to find a local Company that I can get some multi leafs with a slight drop. I'm out in the So. CAL area.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobert
I'm trying to find a local Company that I can get some multi leafs with a slight drop. I'm out in the So. CAL area.
Wonderful JCW strikes again, Good luck.

I seldom cruise the pure Chevy mags, but somebody has to be making what you need. Yours is a very popular ride. Check in the ads for your car and do some web browsing.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:50 PM

Last photo:

Leaf Springs

Yea you live and you learn. I called a Company called Tamraz which is all over E bay and told them my spring story and asked what they had to offer as we talked he told me they have a multi leaf set up but it has to be ordered, so I asked what brand they were and told him these JCW springs had the letters JRS on them and he told me the name of the Company and said thats were they get theres from. This is a Company that just has GM muscle car parts mind you he said he has not had any complaints yet. My point is you never know what your going to get through mail.Globalwest.net has a set of multi's with a 1.5" drop foraround $355.00 and another $61.00 for the mono to multi conversion kit, which I'll probably go with (you get what you pay for) But not in stock untill next week, also about 30 miles away from me.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.