Hot Rod Forum banner

1968 427 chevy cam swap ????

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  eloc431962 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, :welcome: i have a friend who has a 1968 corvette factory 390 HP 427 4-speed car, Here is what he want's me to do, he want's to do a cam change from the stock cam to a Big Mutha Thumper i have tried to talk him out of it but hasen't worked yet :nono: and what i am wondering is just how much cam can the stock springs take will they handle that mutha thumper cam ? He told me he is not worried about performance just a real mean sound,
Which i do not agree with anyone on that it's all performance for me not just sound and no performance, so i guess what i need to know for sure is what you guy's think/know will or should be done to the engine to make this cam swap workout i guess. he seems to think that all that is involved is more less yanking the cam re-place it and basically done. I have tried to tell him that there is more to it then that :sweat: i mean he don't even know if anything has ever been done to this engine at all, it looks like it has never been out of the car or just wasen't took very good care of to say the least. I don't mind doing the swap for him but i would love some opinions from some of you about exactly will need to be done for it to at least run for him not perform since he don't care about that :spank: :boxing: . pics of his car and engine are in my gallery. it's the same car that the guy wanted to trade me for my camaro a while back. So what you guy's say matters to me my big concern is the valve springs holding up.

Cole
:pimp:

See less See more
#3 ·
vncruiser said:
You could check with Comp Cams on the spring issue, however, that engine will have to come out to change the cam...
Reid
'72 T-top

Thank's for the reply vncruiser. :cool:
Yes i could check with comp i guess, really just thought someone on the site would know, knowing this guy he could change his mind at anytime. :eek:
I have done several cam swaps in my time and a few was actually on corvettes . :thumbup: but i never have had to pull the engine to do the swap i have pulled the radiator to do it though, the only time i have done it with the engine out was when i had it out doing a overhaul, and i had had it on the stand then. :thumbup: I admit it surely would be alot easier on the back doing it with it out of the car i do know that for sure. :pain:
Cole :pimp:
1969 T-Top/1971 Convertible/1974 T-Top/2001 Removable top. :cool:

#5 ·
vncruiser said:
When I changed the cam on my small block 72 vette, I too had to remove the radiator and the condenser as well. Removing the radiator with the upper control arms in is a real chore. Next time (if there is one), I think I'd lift the engine.
Reid
Yep X2 i removed all that in one unit well at least the radiator and support and thing's. i haven't talked to the guy for a few day's he may have already changed his mind. ;)

Cole

#7 · (Edited)
Well to be honest with you guy's i do know that they ( the stock heads with stock valve springs) should be just fine with that BigMuthaThumper cam. :eek: I just wanted to verify it with some of you ole or young motor heads on here :D I have just been having some pretty bad last few months. been in the hospital again for a few day's the heart took me for another round, and for the last 3 or 4 months i have been living with some pretty bad pain headaches back and my neck along with chest pains almost everyday. And i literally throw up every stinking night while i am sleeping. and so far the meds have not been doing their job, i went to bed @ 8:30 pm last night and woke up around 12am or so hurting so bad i coulden't even move and didn't go back to sleep till after 3 am and had to get up and go to work @ 4 am so sorry to ramble on but all i really wanted was to shoot the breeze with a few of you because i really do trust what most of you say, :spank:

Cole

#8 ·
So, you just.......baited us.......is that right?:eek:

The springs that are in the heads now will not have the pressures that a new spring of the same part number would have. I would at least pull one intake and one exhaust spring and put them on a tester.

Sorry you have health issues. Years ago when I'd go to the doctor, he'd ask me how I was doing. I'd always tell him that I had no issues, because I didn't. He used to laugh about other patients, telling me that they brought in a "laundry list" of complaints. Well, now the shoe is on the other foot and I'm the one bringing in the laundry list.:D

#9 ·
techinspector1 said:
So, you just.......baited us.......is that right?:eek:

The springs that are in the heads now will not have the pressures that a new spring of the same part number would have. I would at least pull one intake and one exhaust spring and put them on a tester.

Sorry you have health issues. Years ago when I'd go to the doctor, he'd ask me how I was doing. I'd always tell him that I had no issues, because I didn't. He used to laugh about other patients, telling me that they brought in a "laundry list" of complaints. Well, now the shoe is on the other foot and I'm the one bringing in the laundry list.:D

Thank's Richard you are one of them that i really trust :thumbup: and i will check at least 1 intake and 1 exhaust to make sure, he also told me today whatever i do he don't want to remove the heads if so he wouldn't want that big thumper camshaft he really don't want to tear into it. i told him if it was me i would just clean it up real good and paint it under the hood.
If you look in my photo journal i have pic of his car and a under hood shot that really looks bad to me and needs some TLC ;) . And me to Richard , I also remember i never did get sick and now seems it is all the time with me like you i have a pretty good laundry list. :pain:

Cole

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.