1968 camaro door - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013, 08:15 AM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Also keep in mind, that since it seems to have a repro quarter, it is likely to have a repro door and repro fender. We have all done the repro parts dance trying to get everything fitting as good as it will and then get out the welder, body saw, and grinders to make it all fit like it should.

Kelly

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacustoms View Post
Also keep in mind, that since it seems to have a repro quarter, it is likely to have a repro door and repro fender. We have all done the repro parts dance trying to get everything fitting as good as it will and then get out the welder, body saw, and grinders to make it all fit like it should.

Kelly
Yep, that problem with the fender is classic reproduction junk. I will do ANYTHING before I use repro parts.

Brian
Old 07-09-2013, 10:32 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

great catch, Martin. I was thinking the same thing. Once you see the body lines match and the tops not matching that screams to what you're saying. Might be a good idea to get a profile gauge and check the passenger side fender up top and compare it to the driver's side On some fenders that area is a weak point and in the jamb it will get kind of thin right there near the top and as a result the jamb will crack. It's pretty common to see. After doing thorough measurements and everything on the door side checks out than I'd look at the fender. That area can be bent pretty easily and it's not in a totally crucial area being there's just windshield and moulding up there. Just be sure that's the problem first and also look for cracks in the jamb that might need welding.

And as Carolina Customs mentioned, that issue with it being wrong from the body line up also points to aftermarket door skins. Worth investigating everything mentioned before deciding on what to do. The quarter at this point can be ignored somewhat with the sense of defeat and a cut off wheel and welder ready to make magic. j/k

Last edited by tech69; 07-09-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:54 AM

Last photo:

68 camaro doors

after a very close invastigation of the hinges on the pillow side of the door a friend noted out to me that the pillow was bent,it looked like the car might have been wracked,if you look you will see where someone tried to fix it and did a bad job of it.so i guess i will be looking for a good body shop to get this fixed. im glad i joined this forum. want to thank all you guys for your helpful comments and tips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	233.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	75525  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:55 AM

Last photo:

Yep, it looks like the whole rocker may be in, if that lower hinge is in, that makes the top of the door come out as it looks like it is right where it meets the "A" pillar (windshield pillar).

It sure does look like it has been whacked and "worked on" (as opposed to "repaired").

Brian
Old 07-10-2013, 06:19 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

yep, but after re-looking at the pics it still won't do enough for the fender to door tops, but that's the least of his concerns at this point. Funny thing, how did we all miss that it was out so damn far! Our eyes must have been glued to the tops that we all missed how far out the door was. That thing is in pretty far to have caused that. I'd also check how square that front end is.

It's not like your average shop is gonna measure a 68 Camaro and have factory specs for it. They might throw in some bolts into the pillar w/ a plate and pull and check fit. Heck, you can do that with the porto power puller extension and a hitch ball. If that don't work you might be able to break some spot welds down low and push on it. As far as the rocker goes, you might be able to cut a square into the side and put a pole in there, cut a hole or two on the surface for a chain and pull, then weld everything back up.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:43 PM

Last photo:

My thought on this would be to find another undamaged camaro or if the otherside is undamaged and take cross measurements and compare to the damaged door.Obviously its damaged but this will give you an idea of where and how much.I would put it on a frame rack or floor system(blackhawk korek) and secure it to the pinchwelds and pull it so the measurements are close by either weld on pull plates or weld on tabs.I would then look for a good used pillar and section it in along with a new rocker if need be,this way you can make your door fit where you want it.I would also check the windshield opening and firewall for buckles.I would definately save it.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:58 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

I'm assuming the floor is buckled to by the looks of where the rocker and pillar meet. Replacing the rocker would be best but you can save that pillar for sure. The rocker will be cheap but it's about a 4-8 hr job for a good tech. If you do the rocker be mindful of putting on the fender before welding cause more times than not you have to mess with the flanges so the rocker pitch is the same as the fender.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:50 PM

Last photo:

In my previous post I meant to say "door opening",once cross measurements have been made and compared to the damaged opening you will be able to see where it is out of alignment.You can also take measurements from pillar to pillar below the dash to show how far in it is and how much it needs to come out.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:47 AM
Git R Done

Last photo:

Yeah, looks to me also there is something going on with the floor. This car is going to need some serious help. If thats out of your league(accomplished welder, this is not where you want to learn) Shop around for a shop that will take the time to make sure everything gets put back into the right place.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick 54 View Post
can anyone tell me if there is a difference between 68 camaro RS and SS doors.i have a 68 rs.when i brought the car it had only one door on it, it came with another door but was not installed on the car.when i tried to install the door i,m having a hard time lineing it up. So i took a measurement to found one door to be slite larger than the other.
Listen, this is complicated and maybe a little scary to you, but it is very possible that you could measure all this and find it's hardly out or not at all and that all this sheet metal is just ugly and needs a bunch of work that you can do.....one step at a time.

The only difference between a full on restoration and waxing the car in the driveway one Sunday afternoon is the amount of steps of the project. You can break down most any project into small enough steps to where anyone can get it done.

If you want help in figuring this all out it will take some better photos posted here and we can walk you thru how to measure that cowl to see where everything is. Another thought is to post over at Team Camaro Team Camaro Technical Question & Answer Forum - Camaros.net which is the best Camaro site on the web hands down. There are a number of guys over there with cars just like yours that can show you photos of what theirs look like and give you tips on what to do. One of them Sauron67MM, is a MASTER at these cars. He has posted some amazing photos of comparisons of repro and original parts for instance, all taken in his shop on cars he is working on. He knows his stuff and you can get a ton of good info from him as he is more than willing to help.

But you need to find out where all that structure is first, get that measured and then stand back and take a deep breath and figure out what you are going to do.

Brian
Old 07-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

I couldn't agree more with Martin. Anything is possible, a little at a time. If you want an alignment nightmare, take a look at this 68 SS, It's going to be aftermarket everything except firewall and front sub frame. All the sheet metal is being replaced (excluding most of the inner support braces), I'm sure it will take a while to get lined up and looking good, but I know it can be done, because we have done it before. Take your time, you may even have to walk away for a few days, but take your time, stay focused on individual tasks, not the whole car. Best of luck to you. And as always, the forum is here and full of free knowledge should you need it.

Kelly

Old 07-13-2013, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

Not to hijack the thread but I feel your pain carolina customs I have been working on a project for a buddy that he should have put in the dumpster

Last edited by Typical car guy; 07-13-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.