1968 camaro door - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2013, 02:04 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1968 camaro door

can anyone tell me if there is a difference between 68 camaro RS and SS doors.i have a 68 rs.when i brought the car it had only one door on it, it came with another door but was not installed on the car.when i tried to install the door i,m having a hard time lineing it up. So i took a measurement to found one door to be slite larger than the other.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 04:42 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

If its from a 68, it should be the same, no matter the model.....How much bigger/smaller is it?....You may have to move the fender slightly

Budget RVs
Old 07-07-2013, 06:10 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

same doors...the differences are slight like the rear backup lights. headlights etc
You may have to take the fender off to get at the pillar side of the hinge which moves the door forward and backward.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:11 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
If the DOOR it's self is more than a 1/16" inch or so in difference I am thinking you have a reproduction door or one that has had a reproduction skin installed.

Reproduction: Similar to original, can be used if nothing else is available.

But really, if the DOOR is a different length that is probably why. But is it the DOOR that is different (did you measure the door it's self?) or is it the fender or quarter that is different making the door fit different than the other side?

You may be able to work with it by moving the fender forward but you really want to find out what is going on, has the quarter been replaced?

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
cyclopsblown34 (07-07-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 09:12 AM

Last photo:

Even the 67 door though different because of the wing window is same in dimensions.

Brian
Old 07-07-2013, 09:32 AM

the 67/68 doors are the same like MartinSr said,except the side draft window.The door panels can vary.
Is this a running car or was it recently? Why was the original door off?Those cars had sub frame issues and fitment might be related to that or it was poorly repaired?
look under the hood and see if the alignment shims are either way too many or none,this is an indication of the subframe issues those cars had.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:56 AM

Last photo:

Before this gets off track how about some pictures to show where you are having issues.As long as the quarter wasn't replaced(hopefully it was done right) like martin says, you should still be able to make it fit the quarter.You need to get the door to quarter gap first followed by door to fender gap, etc.But keep in mind you could possibly lose your cowl panel to hood gap/front header panel gap.Some pics would help to see whats happening.

Last edited by Typical car guy; 07-07-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:14 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

yeah, that's what I'd do in a pinch. Just kick it forward and start messing with the front end being mindful that the cowl panel can absorb some of it being you can shim it and move it around, and live with any imperfection there. Sounds like a repro door. Mind taking a pic of the backside or inside of the door?
Old 07-07-2013, 11:26 AM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

Keep in mind you can only move your fender so far forward before you throw the whole front clip out of wack.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Just another note, Check the hinges......the 68 we are working on has 4 bolt holes in the hinge on the A-pillar side, the replacement door the guy brought, the hinges had 3 holes on the A-pillar side of the hinge (67 I think). Simple enough to fix by changing out the hinges, but just wanted to throw that out there as well. May want to make sure the hinges are in good shape, not bent, pin bushings are good etc, we all know that would foul things up too. Otherwise the 67 and 68 door would interchange minus the vent window in the 67. The 69 had differnet body lines IIRC.

Kelly

Last edited by carolinacustoms; 07-07-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:24 PM

Last photo:

There are more differences in a 67 door than just the vent windows, the inner shell where the door panel attaches is totally different from a 68 as the 67 has a half door panel (upper and lower is painted and shows) where a 68 has a full door panel that is all vinyl covered. Still should bolt up the same but who knows???
Old 07-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Git R Done

Last photo:

I've seen GM doors vary by 1/8th inch. One camaro I worked on, the rockers were off 1/4th inch side to side. Never wrecked. Just have to keep moving things around.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:38 AM

Last photo:

68 camaro doors

i measured the height of the door thats not fitting.the front of the door is 1/4 inch to tall , and the back near the door handle is 1/8 " to tall. looks like a new rear quarter has been installed.by the way i compaired measurments of both doors, they are difference.i am thinking maybe a reduction door. i will try and post pictures.Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	75476

Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	75477 The driver side door is the one thats way off. As you can see the passenger side is even with front fender, we just need a little adjustment to this side. will try and post picture of inside of door.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:48 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Where are you measuring from ?the bottom of the door to the top ? Whats the gap at the bottom of the door and the rocker look like . show pics of all three gaps front,back and bottom so we can get a good look.
I've had them start out that bad or worse when reassembling after the hinges were removed but after a few adjustments they usually fit pretty well ....
Old 07-09-2013, 08:05 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick 54 View Post
i measured the height of the door thats not fitting.the front of the door is 1/4 inch to tall , and the back near the door handle is 1/8 " to tall. looks like a new rear quarter has been installed.by the way i compaired measurments of both doors, they are difference.i am thinking maybe a reduction door. i will try and post pictures.Attachment 75476

Attachment 75477 The driver side door is the one thats way off. As you can see the passenger side is even with front fender, we just need a little adjustment to this side. will try and post picture of inside of door.
In that first picture the problem looks to be more in the fender and not the door. Yes the door looks high, but the fender is REALLY making it look bad because it's so low. How close is the door to the rocker at the front?

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.