Hot Rod Forum banner

1968 camaro quarter panel

9K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Rick WI 
#1 ·
Hi I’m trying to install a full rear quarter panel for a 1968 camaro. I was hoping to find a install video to help me. I asked around by me to find some one to install, but they all wanted around $2,000.00 plus the price for the part. I don’t have that kind of cash just sitting around. I have all the tools to do it.

Thanks

Fast454camaro. :D

#2 ·
good luck on your camaro. putting on a full panel is not that hard as a body man myself i`ve done a few of them. just do one side at a time and use the door and deck lid to make sure it all lines up. i dont know where you can find a video on how to install a quarter. but if you are kinda sorta good at bodywork you should be ok if you take your time. get a spotweld cutter to cut the spot welds and it pretty much goes on like it comes off.

#4 ·
I am currently redoing a quarter replacement for a customers 68 Camaro. The original replacement was a poor stamping in the jamb area which would not allow the door and front clip to align properly.

I guess I can't say this job is easy at all. Even the replacement panel is quite a poor fit. I'd have to rank this as a "not for newbie" job. If you have a friend that has done body replacement before it would help a great deal. When you place the new quarter up into the new location and it looks too long at the tail panel, won't snug up over the wheel well, and the gap at the door is -6mm at the bottom it will help a great deal to have someone with the "eye" to know how to make it all work.

More than likely you will need to also replace the inners, outers and trunk drop offs as well.

I think you can save a lot of money taking the old parts off, which is not hard at all simply time consuming and somewhat putzy. Prep any areas that may need attention and then take the new parts to the body shop. I think you'll save significant dollars that way.

#6 ·
A word of warning. Most replacement quarters that I have seen lately, are designed to be placed over the old panel. That means that you can actually place it in position without removing the old panel. It is longer than the original, as it overlaps on both ends. If that is the case with the one that you have, you may want to think about how you want to proceed, before you remove the old panel. Often, you can simply use the new panel as a large "patch panel", by leaving the front and rear edges, along with the top body lines. It will also be more difficult around the wheel opening.

Aaron

#7 ·
adtkart said:
A word of warning. Most replacement quarters that I have seen lately, are designed to be placed over the old panel. That means that you can actually place it in position without removing the old panel. It is longer than the original, as it overlaps on both ends. If that is the case with the one that you have, you may want to think about how you want to proceed, before you remove the old panel. Often, you can simply use the new panel as a large "patch panel", by leaving the front and rear edges, along with the top body lines. It will also be more difficult around the wheel opening.

Aaron
aka...a skin.

#8 ·
Thanks to all of your for your help my dad use to be a body man before he became a police officer and said he would help. I have to done a full panel because I have a crack that goes past the skin, and it will help in the window gutters that need to be replaced. I was hoping to just see some one do it before I jump into it.

Thanks
:D

#9 ·
That will help a great deal with your dad Fast454. The replacement panel will be designed to replace the current quarter. So all parts of the old quarter, even those that will be layered underneath the rear filler panel, under the roof, behind the tail panel and folded under into the rocker area will have to bet cut out.

It will make sense once you cut the old quarter off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.