1968 camaro questions - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2011, 06:22 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Lol ya im deff not afrade of a project lol i know its deffinately a major overhall and il spend alot of time on it but that doesnt scare me its kinda a father and son dream to fix up a 60s camaro and build a big block motor for it making it all our own i really wana start with one less than 2500 sooo that limits part of my options but then i live in illinois and i dont want to travel very far away so that really limits it down thats really my big prob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 06:44 PM
kc0kfg

Last photo:

not the car for you

Ok I will try it this way, I love my cars and have had many projects, I understand the want for a early Camaro.

I also know the fact of trying to build a car on a limited budget,

This is not the car you want, if you have 2000.00 put it away and try to add to it.
Dont be in a rush you can find a better project car out there.

Many a project car is started and then just sits either from lack of money or time.

My tips
1. Avoid the rust belt cars I know you said you did not want to travel far but the miles you drive one time for a body with less rust will save you years of work.

2. Make you project something you can afford the 2nd gen Camaro's are overlooked and often quite affordable, and since they were based off the fist gen you can lean quite a lot that will help you when you get a 1st gen.

3. Think about other cars there are plenty of G body's out there I know everybody has a cutlass but parts are plenty and you gain a full frame unlike the unibody camaro's

We all know we will never change your mind but I think you will find we all have the dream project car and a few have them but not many started with a dream car.

Bank the money and buy the best start you can, oh one last thing when you can drive them you will push more, when they can move under its own power they often become yard or garage art.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:17 PM

Last photo:

Im sry guys i didnt meen to sound so deffensive about it. I very much appreciate the time and comments u guys posted i really do. Can u guys tell me any sites for diecent project camaro sites i can go to for a resonable price besides ebey?
Old 07-07-2011, 09:47 PM
kc0kfg

Last photo:

No offence taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryejs
Im sry guys i didnt meen to sound so deffensive about it. I very much appreciate the time and comments u guys posted i really do. Can u guys tell me any sites for diecent project camaro sites i can go to for a resonable price besides ebey?

Not a problem, we have all been there before, I bet every person on here has wanted some beat up mess of a project car, you can benefit from all of us.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:32 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Here is a 67 with a rear end that is worth $600-$1000 alone! (I sold one about a year ago for about $650). That didn't sell for $2500! Click here

Even though the entire floor is out of this one it looks a hell of a lot better than the one you are looking at and it went for only $1200! Click here

Here's one that went for a $grand no better than what you are looking at but at least you would have $1500 to buy sheetmetal. click here

How about $3500? Click here

Sit back and wait, things come your way.

Brian
Old 07-08-2011, 09:45 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I restore cameros.I'd buy that car but only if it was an RS or SS/RS.Ive restored worst.BUT I've been doing this all my life.Sure its a lot of work and its fun but the if its hasnt got the right motor and its just a camero you really should pass,its just not worth much when its done...
The best deal you'll ever find on a camero will be at the drag strip.They are always inside so the rust is at a minimum but they are usually hacked up so its a trade off.
Every camero I've done always gets (at least) new floors ,inc. trunk and full 1/4s so theres another 2k right there..
something else to look for is a virgin,(rusted or not) look in the trunk and see if the 1/4s have been replaced also look very carefully for damage or big chunks of bondo around the headlights and taillights or big bubbles around the bottom of the car ,a lot of them get bondo over rust to cover them up for resale..buying one with a poor or even average paint job is a very bad idea,it'll be covering up a multitude of sins...
Theres a lot to know about the actual work and you got plenty of time to learn and the right attitude to get it done.
Basicly dont waste your time building a car that wont be worth much when its done....
The RS I'm doing right now is in worse shape but its complete and has the right motor ,I payed 2500 for it ,thats about the going price.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fool
Run Forest run - Away from that car as fast as you can UNLESS you want a project like this Mustang that had a little rust needing fixed>>

http://www.spiuserforum.com/showthre...ng-rust-repair
Wow, that Mustang is a money pit that only love can conquer.

Sometimes a car just isn't worth the effort to bring back to life unless you have REALLY deep pockets. Some of them just need to hit the crusher and sent overseas to return as next years econobox. Cars with unibodies only make saving them all the harder. Try this: Go to a Camaro supply place and start listing all the parts you need and the cost. Then triple that and you may come up with a cost that may be near to what it will cost minus paint and bodywork.

If I just had to have that Camaro, I would set it up for drag racing, frame it, roll cage, fiber glass parts and have some fun.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:57 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
Try this: Go to a Camaro supply place and start listing all the parts you need and the cost. Then triple that and you may come up with a cost that may be near to what it will cost minus paint and bodywork.
Years ago in a Rod Action magazine I remember an article on costing the build of a street rod. In it the final thought was to figure out what it costs, double that, then TRIPLE that. It then said "You will likely still be under but at least not as bad as if you went with your first thought". I have found this to be right on the money! It blows my mind how much this stuff costs. To build that Camaro would be $25K MINIMUM if you did ALL the work at home including paint.

This formula can also be used to figure out how long it will take. Doing a car like that in your spare time for a newbe who takes 5-10 times longer than a pro to do these things. This project would be MANY years to complete. During these years you will be seeing MANY of these cars at swap meets and shows that you wish like hell you would have bought instead of the rust bucket mess you did.

Brian
Old 07-09-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Here is a 67 with a rear end that is worth $600-$1000 alone! (I sold one about a year ago for about $650). That didn't sell for $2500! Click here

Brian
This one seems to be a great deal,I'd pass on all those others as well.get a year 1 camero book so you can read what the ID numbers mean before you buy any car...
Old 07-09-2011, 11:23 AM

Last photo:

That car is a parts car, that the current owner has already stripped. Now he's trying to pass whats left to a sucker. Don't be that sucker.. Keep looking.

Do you own a MIG welder, floor jack, jack stands, air compressor(40-60gal), a garage with 220, hand tools, body tools, etc, etc

Before you finish college, take some English Lit. and composition classes.

To the guy who's worked on Camero's all his life, its CAMARO
Old 07-09-2011, 11:43 AM

Oh, one of THOSE guys,
Actually its Camaro.Time for you to go back to school too.Try not to get your donkey kicked by someone in english class....
Old 07-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Say What !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cole
Old 07-09-2011, 12:53 PM

Last photo:

If you are only looking on eBay, you are missing a lot of deals. Online sources I use:
Hemmings Motor News
Auto Trader
Recycler

Also, look for local car shows and swap meets. Car clubs are another great source for finding cars, parts and information.

Now, for my two cents... You're 19 and in college, and you say you're "starting to make money". That means you also have a job. And you think you are ready to start a major car project? You REALLY need to think about that. How many hours per week do you have left after work, classes, and homework? How much cash do you have left each month to spend on the car?

Beyond the money and time, do you have a garage and storage space? It's one thing to perform general repairs in a driveway. The kind of project we're talking about here requires dedicated garage space. (You could do it in a driveway, but it imparts severe limits -- especially when Winter hits.)
Old 07-09-2011, 01:17 PM

Last photo:

The time is the one thing most people miss on. That Camaro would take about 500 hours MINIMUM in a shop to do. This is by pros who do it every day, 500 hours. Multiply that by four, that's 2000 hours. More realistically it would by times five or six, but lets just stick with four.

How much could you possibly work on it while going to school AND working to make a few bucks. Let's just say all parts are $15-20K. So if every dime of your part time job is spent this will give you about a hundred bucks a week. So three or four years putting every dime into the car.

So you are going to school and working, how much time is left, 10 hours a week at the most I would think. When I was 19 I would work around the clock too and kick butt, you could squeeze in 10 hours after school and work I would think. Me now, hell no, I am busted when I get home from work and don't have the energy but at 19, I could see those 10 hours.

So, now you divide your 10 hours a week into the 2000 (conservative) hours and you get your car done in four years.

And this would be an extremely difficult pace to keep up. And we haven't bought a single tool!

Brian
Old 07-09-2011, 02:22 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

DO NOT BUY THAT CAR!!!!! I did the same thing on a '69 Camaro and while I love my car, it has taken waaaaaaaay too much time and money to get it right. Take a road trip out to where there is no salt on the roads in winter like New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California. Look around on craigslist for a rust free project. Go to Team Camaro on google and look at the classifieds. They specialize in First Gen Camaros. Go to nastyz28 on google, they deal with Camaros 1970-2002. Don't sell the Nova short. Same chassis as a Camaro only parts are a hell of a lot less $$$$. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT BUY THAT RUSTBUCKET. THE ONLY THING THAT THING IS WORTH IS THE TITLE.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.