1968 camaro questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2011, 12:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1968 camaro questions

hi im 19 and ive been interested in the 60's style camaro for years im in college now and starting to make money i am currently looking into a 1968 camaro for sale this weekend it lists for 2500 OBO and i asked the guy if he would sell it for 2000 after he hesitated he said hed take it if its still there. it has no engine or tranny in it guny need a new floor, hood, trunk, and trunk floor for sure. has no seats. he said prob guna need door skins fender outer wheel well and quarter. he has the title and its under his name. is this a good buy it has a good frame on it and other salvageable parts. ive looked at parts but am a little confused if i should buy imported parts a parts car or us reman parts. whats the diff in how much it would be worth when im done with it.

ps. not planning to sell it mostly wanting it for a fun show car and to enjoy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 12:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryejs
hi im 19 and ive been interested in the 60's style camaro for years im in college now and starting to make money i am currently looking into a 1968 camaro for sale this weekend it lists for 2500 OBO and i asked the guy if he would sell it for 2000 after he hesitated he said hed take it if its still there. it has no engine or tranny in it guny need a new floor, hood, trunk, and trunk floor for sure. has no seats. he said prob guna need door skins fender outer wheel well and quarter. he has the title and its under his name. is this a good buy it has a good frame on it and other salvageable parts. ive looked at parts but am a little confused if i should buy imported parts a parts car or us reman parts. whats the diff in how much it would be worth when im done with it.

ps. not planning to sell it mostly wanting it for a fun show car and to enjoy
do you have the time , skills and place to work on it? if not i would pass. you are buying a lot of work that will be worth less than you have in it when you are done.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:58 PM

Last photo:

What exactly is any good on this car? If it needs all that, you'd probably be money in to just buy a body in white and start with known good sheet metal and less hassle fitting everything.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

Well i want an original to gradually fix up fram and chassies is good glass is good has a dash and bosy isnt too bad all fixable
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-07-01_14-19-12_303.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	56659  
Old 07-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,029 Posts
I would save my money and just keep an eye open, something will fall in your lap when you least expect it. If you go looking for something, you often end up with the bottom of the barrel, this car is the bottom of the barrel.

Taiwan and Chinese reproduction parts are usually JUNK.

Brian
Old 07-07-2011, 02:22 PM

although the sheetmetal produced for these cars are pretty dang good...(provided you go with the right manufacturer) i would pass on it.

Unless you have the skills required or wish to do it yourself and learn, you are going to pay someone upwards around $15-20,000 to do just the body restoration on this car. Done right. You are going to find more rot, once you start cutting sheetmetal out. What you see is just the begining.

What motor was in the car originally? If its anything less than a 327, i definately wouldn't fool with it. On the border line even with it being a 327.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:57 PM

Last photo:

No im deff doing it myself i wouldnt want someone els to do it i enjoy learning and doin this stuff ive done it before its fun to do
Old 07-07-2011, 03:53 PM

Last photo:

I know there is more rot under everything this is a project ive wanted to do since 8th grade ive had experience fixing cars and rebuild a great some of them i work for CAT at ppg im a mechanic there ive rebuilt boats motorcycles and cars ive got a grandpa who does a fantastic job on interiors and ive also done interiors with him as well so no seats rnt a prob im also a certified welder and have fabricated parts from scratch ive also been looking for a 60's camaro close by for 6 years and have researched parts and this is deff the cheapest ive found since ive had enough to buy it pluss it has to b halfway close by which is hard in ill
Old 07-07-2011, 03:55 PM

Last photo:

Well i want an original to gradually fix up fram and chassies is good glass is good has a dash and bosy isnt too bad all fixable
Old 07-07-2011, 03:56 PM

Last photo:

Try to find one that's ready to drive. They are out there if you look.
The one you want will take a skilled person around two years working 40 hrs a week to restore that car plus around $25,000.00
The return on a car like that is about 50 cents on the dollar and a big zero on the labor. Do your self a favor and go shopping.When you find one their will be plenty of work to do on it because it's an on going hobby.
Got to hand it to you for wanting to venture in but start with a little bite rather than trying to eat the elephant with one bite. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:12 PM

Last photo:

What sites r those for sale at? Everything i see that has a rough body just as bad as this one with engine and tranny that doesnt run costs 6 to 12000
Old 07-07-2011, 04:14 PM

they are out there. A customer of mine just picked up a 69 302 car for about 11k.

Needs front left fender, inner fender, and 2 quarter skins. Only reason it needs a fender is it got bumped up years ago. Only 1 repaint and looks like it COULD be original...but isn't obviously with the repairs done.

Car runs and drives.....suspension / frame is solid..glass is good. interior is original, very nice shape.

Have to weigh out your options. You are going to have to venture out of your area though. If you've exhausted all your options and this is the only one you can truely find, and you feel you can be up to the task then go for it. Theres almost nothing more pleasing than taking somethin like that and turning into a show piece..
Old 07-07-2011, 04:17 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

After reading your posts its plain you intend to buy this piece of junk even though some very experienced people have suggested you walk. You asked and you've been given some excellent advice. Do what you want... its your money, but if it was me... I'd spend it on college since you don't seem to be able to spell or use punctuation. You'll need those skills if you ever expect to earn enough money to support a family.

Good luck...and run, don't walk away from this Camaro. You don't have the time and I'm guessing the money either. If you buy it now, it'll be back on Craig's List in 6 months for about half what you paid for it.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"One of the problems with stupid people is they very rarely realize just how stupid they really are." - Anonymous
Old 07-07-2011, 04:25 PM

Last photo:

Well my prob is i dont have that much money im wanting something i can work on and fix up gradually resale isnt too important but i would like it to b worth what i put in it i still havent seen it in person im wanting to get a body and frame then put a 454 fully fabricated built from scratch and a 5 speed tranny i mostly wana build and have that pleased feeling of building and learning ive been researching and i could buy the body parts for 2000 all us made so i figure a new body for 4 gs is that bad or am i dreaming? Im. Not plannin to finish for at earliest 5 years is that unrealistic?
Old 07-07-2011, 05:54 PM

Last photo:

Run Forest run - Away from that car as fast as you can UNLESS you want a project like this Mustang that had a little rust needing fixed>>

http://www.spiuserforum.com/showthre...ng-rust-repair

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.