1968 Camaro RS. 5 spd change over from auto. need info - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2003, 11:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1968 Camaro RS. 5 spd change over from auto. need info

hey everyone. i bought my project a few weeks ago. its a 1968 Camaro RS. with a 355 sbc, auto 3 spd trany. i wanna do a 5sp change over. and need some help and informatin on the convertion. if anyone knows anyone that does this work in SoCal please let me know. or where i can get parts to strat this. thanks. i want to go with a 5 spd so that the R's say low. and would love to go with a hydrolic clutch so that i dont have pains in my left leg. lol thanx in advance.

eric
818-402-3004
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2003, 09:26 AM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hey Eric, not too sure on what you need to know. Do you know what kind of tranny you want to put in the 68? I just grabbed a Richmond 5 spd for my ride, but don't have it in yet. 5th is still 1:1, but they say to keep the rear gears high (3.23 or higher, (numericaly lower)) to keep the rpms nice and low on the highway. If you are ok with a wrench, you should be able to do this swap yourself. You can either go with a hydraulic throw out bearing, or a slave cylinder for your clutch to make the pedal easier on your leg. A slave cylinder would be a little easier to install. All you would need is the tranny, bellhousing, clutch assembly, and flywheel. The only mods you would have to do is maybe the tranny x-member, and hook up a master cylinder for the clutch. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.