1968 Dodge Charger - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 02:43 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1968 Dodge Charger

I have recently purchased a 68 Charger and the exterior is mint. I have 2 new Charger badges to put on the rear pillars but are unsure of exactly where to put them. It has a black vinal roof and the badges have 2 small pins to assist with the fastening of the badges. Is it best to cut them off and just use a adheasive or do I drill holes as well as glueing them. I want to make sure that I get this right. Is there anyone out there that might be able to offer a suggestion or 2 of exact location and best method of fastening.
Thanks,
Dion.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2007, 03:12 PM

Last journal entry: Headlights added
Last photo:

Go to Cuda-challenger.com I'm sure someone there can answer.

Bart
Old 01-04-2007, 04:43 PM

Last photo:

Many older cars, emblems were held on by nuts or speed nuts. A speed nut could be meant to thread on those pins. Or they could be just an alignment aid to put the emblem on straight and the emblem glued or 3m two sided taped on (not very likely in 1968 that this was used, don't believe it was around then) Is it possible it had two holes for the pin to go through that got covered with body filler or with something at some point. You could break the pins off and glue it on or two sided tape it on. You will just have to eye it and put it on straight. Make sure both the back of the emblem and the vinyl are cleaned, wipe with some wax and grease remover maybe. I am not sure how well the two sided tape will stick to vinyl, as I've never tried it, but it does stick to most things well if they are clean. You will want something that will stick well to the vinyl. You could also try plastic emblem adhesive, or even epoxy or windshield urethane, but with something like that you have to be carefull so you don't apply too much that it oozes out from behing the emblem and makes a mess. be ready with a rag and solvent to clean up an excess right away. My guess is that this was speed nutted on and accessed by removing interior panel from the factory, but don't take my word on it, cause haven't owned or worked on that car. Here is a picture of a 68 from google image search.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:26 PM

RE : Badges

When I had a new top installed on my gallaxie , I had the same problem.
I peeled back the roof liner opposite the mounting area on the inside of the car ,so that you can see the 2 holes, then , while supporting the outside vinyl with one hand , I used a scriber to punch through the vinyl , pressed in
the badges ,pushed on the retainer bushings , refit the liner , all was good...
Old 01-05-2007, 10:30 PM

Last photo:

I would try CJH 's Idea Look behind roof panel To see if the holes are there already you may be able to see them threw the trunk up near the hinges
Old 01-05-2007, 11:40 PM

I just looked at some pics of a 68 Charger I did 2 decades ago, looks like there's holes there. So, yea, might find them under the headliner as was said. If not, might try asking on Moparts forum, usually hundreds of Mopar guys on there at all times. Fun car, good luck!
Old 01-06-2007, 01:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I believe those are held on with barrel clips. They would fit into the holes, the emblem is then pushed into the clips. If the pins are tapered, speed nuts, if they aren'e tapered, probably barrel clips. With a car like this, I'd try to do this the proper way. Dan

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.