Hot Rod Forum banner

1968 Firebird Rear Disc Brake Conversion

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Bryan59EC 
#1 ·
Has anyone done a drum to disc brake conversion on a 68 Firebird or Camaro with a 10 bolt rear end and STAGGERED SHOCKS? (caliper must be located toward front of axle on the drivers side, and toward the rear of the axle on the passenger side)

what kit or parts did you use.. (i'd like to stay under 600 bucks...)

I've been looking at some of the aftermarket kits, but cant decide which to go with..

I want to use ALL GM parts that will be available at the local auto parts stores.

some of the kits i've seen use ford or lincoln rotors that need to be specially drilled to accomodate the gm bolt pattern I DO NOT want to use non GM parts.

please no "guesses" I'm looking for difinitive answers from people who have actually done the conversion SUCCESSFULLY..

#3 ·
Boneyard

If your looking on a budget and want the correct parts I would highly recommend a trip down to the local pick-a-part yard with your dimentions in hand, I bought a complete plate to plate disk brake rear from a 02 crown vic burn out cop car with 88K on the clock plus I kept all the emergency brake stuff, driveline etc for $135 total ($10 core charge) its served me well for 4 years now...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.