Hot Rod Forum banner

1968 ford timing cover

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Irelands child 
#1 ·
Have removed timing cover off front of engine with oil pan still on, do I need to replace the whole pan gasket or can I just replace the corners and the seal? Is there supposed to be dowel pins for alignment? Always had a leak before.

#2 ·
What engine do you have???
Most engines have dowels to keep the cover aligned so the front seal wont leak.
And yes you can just use "short" gaskets on the front inch or to of the pan rails. Be sure to use a quality RTV sealer ,like ultra blue or ultra black. Best to let it set overnight to cure also, for leak free performance

#3 ·
If it's the 'standard' 289/302/351W, oil pan end tabs come with a new timing cover gasket. If the oil pan gasket is cork or composition, trim it off, use some sealant (I just use ordinary contact cement for those tabs) on the new tabs, let set up for a few minutes and reinstall the timing cover using some RTV on the 3 way joits. If that gasket has a steel core, that will take a piece of hack saw blade to cut loose. Alignment dowels are only in the front of the engine for the timing cover ( Fel Pro supplies plastic removable alignment dowels with new oil pan gaskets though)

Oh and use that new seal that comes with the 'W' timing cover gasket - and there are two different ones - early, installed from the inside, later, from the outside and usually the one supplied.

Dave W

#6 ·
The bottom holes on each side of the timing housing have hollow dowels that bolts bolts go through. While they aren't 100% necessary, they will align the crank in the seal. Also, if it's a '68 as you say, you may need a repair sleeve as well as a new seal. Rock Auto has most of what you need: RockAuto Parts Catalog

This photo is the '99 5.0L engine from my '31 A that I did a minor overhaul on this spring:

If you use a 'contact' type cement on those end tabs you wont need the oil pan positioning dowels that at least Fel Pro provides

#8 ·
You should see corresponding big holes - bottom each side - which holds a dowel or should I say locating sleeve. 5/16 bolts go through. Google this: M-6026-A302 Freeze Plug & Dowel Pin Kit Ford 289-351W

Lots more parts then you need but you might get a dowel p/n or dimension

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.