1968 GTO upper control Arm bushing replacement - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010, 06:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1968 GTO upper control Arm bushing replacement

This will be my first control arm job. The bushing in the rear side of the passenger upper control arm has been destroyed. The rod still looks good, but I wont know until I take the arm off. I'm taking off both upper control arms and I am assuming that I will at least be needing ball joints along with the bushings, and I might have to get new control arm shafts. I wont know about the shafts until the arms are off. I was thinking if I need both, I might get the MOOG kit, which also comes with all the hardware too. I was also looking at polyurethane bushings, but I am on a very limited budget (I spent everything on the engine...).

My question is, and it is very green, but do I need to put a jack stand under the lower control arm when I start removing the upper? I just have the basic tools, such as socket sets pry bars, allens, torx, hammers, punchs, etc etc but I dont have anything like air tools or a spring compressor. The only thing that worries me is will I be able to get the arm back when the new bushings are installed, with out a spring compressor or special tool?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2010, 07:15 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I would put the jack stand under the frame, right behind the tire. Use a floor jack under the lower control arm to support it, no need to remove the spring and as long as the shock is still in place the spring can not go anywhere. The shock will limit the downward travel of the control arm and it (the shock) is inside of the spring.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:23 PM

Last photo:

cool, that takes away a lot of worry for me.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam83
This will be my first control arm job. The bushing in the rear side of the passenger upper control arm has been destroyed. The rod still looks good, but I wont know until I take the arm off. I'm taking off both upper control arms and I am assuming that I will at least be needing ball joints along with the bushings, and I might have to get new control arm shafts. I wont know about the shafts until the arms are off. I was thinking if I need both, I might get the MOOG kit, which also comes with all the hardware too. I was also looking at polyurethane bushings, but I am on a very limited budget (I spent everything on the engine...).

My question is, and it is very green, but do I need to put a jack stand under the lower control arm when I start removing the upper? I just have the basic tools, such as socket sets pry bars, allens, torx, hammers, punchs, etc etc but I dont have anything like air tools or a spring compressor. The only thing that worries me is will I be able to get the arm back when the new bushings are installed, with out a spring compressor or special tool?
I think you need some special tool to be able to get the arm back when the new bushings have installed. PM me if you need some assistance.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:19 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Leave the shocks in place, so there is no way for the spring to come out. Once you get the arms off, you need to either press the bushings out or burn the rubber and compress the shells to get them out of the arms. Be sure the shaft is in place inside the control arm BEFORE you start pressing the new bushings in place. Do not torque the nuts (or in some cases bolts) on the ends of the shaft until the arm is in place and the weight of the car is on the suspension.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:23 AM

Last photo:

I think it's cool that this advice has come when I needed it. I've been painting the inside of the house for a month and have had no time for the car, but I will soon. Now, when you say leave the shaft in place before putting on the new bushings... do you mean secured to the car? Because I thought the control arm and the control arm shaft needed to be off the car to get the new bushings on.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:00 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam83
I think it's cool that this advice has come when I needed it. I've been painting the inside of the house for a month and have had no time for the car, but I will soon. Now, when you say leave the shaft in place before putting on the new bushings... do you mean secured to the car? Because I thought the control arm and the control arm shaft needed to be off the car to get the new bushings on.
No, what I meant is be sure the shaft is slid into the holes in the control arm before you press in even the first bushing. I've has some upper arms where the shaft needed to be inserted from the middle of the control arm - in other words, insert one end into the arm, slide it until the wide part for the mounting bolt hits the inside of the arm, then insert the other end and center. If the wide parts of the shaft won't pass all the way through the holes in the arm, you can't insert the shaft with the first bushing in place.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.