Hot Rod Forum banner

1968 Mercury 100 pickup

9K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Silver Surfer 
#1 ·
I found a '68 Mercury 100 pickup I'm very interested in buying. I've been looking for an old Ford truck for a long time, and I love the look of the 67-69 pickups. I want to know if parts for these trucks are fairly easy to come by, or will I be doing a cross country search whenever I need something??

Things like brakes, body panels, trim etc.

The truck is for sale for $1000, has a 302 out of a mid 80's Crown Vic. It's inspected and runs great. It has some minor rust issues in the under carriage, but nothing overly serious. If I were to get this, I'd like to take it down to the frame, and build it back up.

Here's a pic of the truck.

See less See more
#4 ·
I think that in that timeframe they only used the Mercury name on trucks sold in Canada. I think they are mechanically identical to the Ford light trucks.

I lived near the border in the 60's and 70's, and saw many of the Mercury trucks in Canada, but never saw one in the U.S.

Bruce

#5 ·
Correct.......The Merc was a Canadian model. I think the last ones were around 68, so that may be a collectors item. All body panels are the same except said tailgate.....and trim. Still lots of that stuff floating around here at swap meets in Canukland.

#6 ·
Don't see how you could go wrong for 1K.

Reminds me of a '70 F-100 I once owned. Had a 302 and 3 on the tree. Geared really high too. I've owned a number of cars and trucks over the years but I swear that thing fired up every time in 1/2 of a millisecond. Never been able to duplicate it.

Alot of people like to take off all the lettering and badges. Me, I kinda like em.
You see alot of Fords and Chevys but it would be cool to walk buy an old Merc truck for a change. Just another opinion, but it would be nice to see some chrome back on that puppy. :thumbup:

#10 ·
Yup, the Fargo (dodge) and the Mercs are few and far between down here.
As a kid in Idaho, I saw quite a few.
And when I first saw a 65 Parisienne-----I was looking all over that car for something that said Bonneville--------'Cause that is what it was!!!
Then the Americans stole that badge and started using it in about 84.

Bryan

Oh---a neighbor of mine in Arizonahad an Acadia??? the Canuk version of a Nova. had a lot of different trim than the Nova.

#11 ·
Bryan59EC said:
Oh---a neighbor of mine in Arizona had an Acadia??? the Canuk version of a Nova. had a lot of different trim than the Nova.
Thats Acadian..............There was also a Canuk version of the Chevelle called a Beaumont. Both had different trim than their American counterparts, and being Pontiacs, had much better quality trim than Novas and Chevelles.

About the Parisiennes.............they had Chevy frames and drivetrains, such as my 62.

Attachments

#12 ·
As for that old Parisienne
Be it Chev or Pontiac powered
It was much better "dressed" than the Bonneville was---(as I remember)

Oh and thanks for the refreshing of the name--have not seen one in over 15 years--I am amazed that I even remember it :D let alone what it was called.

I was close tho

Bryan

#13 ·
My Poncho has a Chevy 350 in it....They came with 283s and 327s.......

Actually, a Canadian Pontiac is the same length as a Catalina..........The Bonnevilles were a few inches longer.

The third picture above is a 68 Beaumont..........It had a 327/4speed Saginaw, but was sold at Pontiac dealers.

#14 ·
poncho62 said:
The third picture above is a 68 Beaumont..........It had a 327/4speed Saginaw, but was sold at Pontiac dealers.
that's a pretty sweet looking car with the signature Pontiac Split Grille. :thumbup: They also sold Diesel Jeep Cherokees in Canada. Supposedly 30-35mpg. :eek: Much better than 19.5mpg with my 242ci gasser (Jeep 4.0 HO).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.