Hot Rod Forum banner

1968 mercury cougar

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  jimfulco 
#1 ·
i have a 1968 mercury cougar that really started dogging out. I changed the plugs checked for spark got nothing. i thought that the car was running rough dew to condensation. Car started prior to the replacement of the plugs but would not stay running. after i inserted the plugs it would not start at all. still turns over but like i said there is no spark. I did check the distributer cap i did not see any thing that was of concern. does anyone have any ideas

#2 ·
What engine are you working on? Did you replace the plugs only? When you reinstalled the plug wires did you connect them in their proper location, per the firing order? Did you replace the coil wire or remove it and possibly not push the wire all the way down into the dist. cap when you reinstalled it? How about when you pulled the distributor cap, did you notice if the rotor cap was in place? If you can provide more info maybe we can help you out.

#5 ·
73oldsman said:
Just noticed this is your first post to the site. Welcome to the site! Have you had any luck with your car yet? Inquiring minds want to know! :welcome:
i finally got if fixed it only took two days after tring plugs and a new coil i still not hae spark. So i replaced the points and condenser runs like a dream. Did lots of research fond out that in a 68 couger the points and condenser are most likely to go out every 6000 to 8000 miles. also in all the research i did it recomended carring an extra set in the glove box. Dew the fact, they'll go bad so often

#6 ·
Jmark said:
No spark could indicate a number of problems.
1. Bad points.
2. Bad condensor.
3. No power to coil.
4. Bad coil.
5. Dist. not turning due to stripped off cam gear. (common on high mile ford engines with the factory plastic coated gear)

May be time to enlist some professionl help to find the problem.

Mark
the points and condenser were the problem it took two days but i got it figured out did lots of research to discover that the points and condenser will go out in this car every 6000 to 8000 miles All the research recomends carring an extra set in the glove box

#7 ·
tammy romero said:
the points and condenser were the problem it took two days but i got it figured out did lots of research to discover that the points and condenser will go out in this car every 6000 to 8000 miles All the research recomends carring an extra set in the glove box

That is misinformation. Points and condenser last 25-30,000 easily. A point gap/dwell adjustment at 10-15,000 is advised because the rubbing block on the points wears.

Worn out distributors have the points actuating cam well worn which causes the point gap to be too narrow for the recommended dwell angle. Consequently the points get the blame when the problem is actually a worn out distributor cam.

If you insist on running a worn out distributor you should adjust your points by dwell, not gap, every 5,000 miles.

Better yet, eliminate points entirely by installing a Pertronics or other internal electronic upgrade. (Your distributor mechanism will still be worn out)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.