Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1968 Mustang Coupe - door skins
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 08:19 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

68 mustang door skins

I am in total agreement I would keep the original. I had rust holes in my 68 fastback doors. I cut a 3 1/2" to 4" strip out across the bottom of my doors and weld in universal door bottom metal. If i had a sheet metal brake I would have made my own. aftermarket panels can't compare to the original. Now this may sound funny, but when I would cut out rust from a car and throw the rusted metal on the floor it had a sound of a slight ring, but when I trimmed an aftermarket panel and throw the trimmings on the floor it was a dead sound, the original metal was stronger than the aftermarket. I bought full floorboard panels for my 68, after getting them ,I decided not to use them because of the cheapness, instead I used 16 gauge metal. If your doors are rust free, there is no way you should replace them. If you want to repair them yourself find a good body man get all the info you can , give it a try and take the doors to him to check out. The way I learned, I hung out at a body shop after school and they let me do little things like clean up, then sanding and taping. I did this all free just to learn. My first repair was a 57 chevy door took 3 days , now it would take me 45 minutes to repair that same dent.